IGNORED

Need help with balance tube and cooling bypass

jtay

I'll be the dissenting voice: I don't think you should block off everything. I think there should be a small amount of flow through the thermostat housing at all times (even when the thermostat is cold and closed). If everything is blocked off, you can run into the situation where the thermostat is sitting in a stagnant pool of liquid. Problem with that is a stagnant pool won't correctly reflect the temperature of the coolant inside the head and the thermostat could be delayed in opening.

On my 280, I'm routing coolant through my throttle body, and that coolant bypasses the thermostat. Once I installed that line the temperature gauge reads completely different than it used to. My needle starts to move much earlier than before indicating that with the previous system there was no coolant flowing around the temperature sender until much later.

So you don't have to pass the coolant through the carbs, but IMHO, there should be some flow. If you insist on blocking everything off, drill a hole in the thermostat. My experience with my 280 leads me to believe that the little jiggler hole built into the thermostat isn't enough.

1 hour ago, panchovisa said:

Do not overfill the dash pots, doesnt take much oil!!!!!!

Actually, that's not really a big deal. If you overfill it, it will just run into the carb throat and the first time you start the car, it will just get sucked in and burned.

One little blue puff on that first start and problem solved.

Yep it is a little kinked on both sides.  Looks like in packaging they tried to protect it but it pushed against that cardboard.  I have been pinching it to get it to unkink.  If anyone has a picture of the Y plug or removal of the Y please post.  I do good with pictures.  Made good progress today.  Pic below. 

thumbnail-49.jpeg

thumbnail-46.jpeg

That kinked float bowl to fuel nozzle hose is going to be a problem. That hose needs to be super flexible (Ztherapy hoses are silicone). Normally the problem isn't in the fuel delivery to the nozzle. Stiff hoses will bind up the nozzles, preventing them from returning to the non-choke position (up) when the choke knob is forward (off). Looking at the pic again, You might be able to relieve some of the kink by reversing the hose.

I bought two "J" hoses from my local Nissan dealership a couple of years ago. They weren't much money but I don't remember the amount. Call your local place and tell the parts person to punch in these numbers, 16356-25610. They should be able to get them overnight, no shipping charges for you to pay either. Maybe they can still get them? I like these better than ztherapy's, Nissan's are pre-formed and will never kink. Good luck.

20190715_103016.jpg

• Like 1