IGNORED

New mustache bushing updates?

ToolBoy

That would be terrific if this happened, any idea what their minimum run would have to be?

Pretty sure there would be a market in Europe too if the price isn’t silly with import duties. [emoji106]

@EuroDat & @Zed Head Happy to ask! No promises on any of this though. Having worked for an OEM in the past, sometimes finding old specs and doing small runs can be impossible and/or expensive. Fingers crossed that is not the case. 

@grannyknot still trying to find out. Just got passed from purchasing to their motorsport division in Japan. Still trying to track down the right person.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just seeing this. This is a really good discussion. I just wanted to offer two things.

First, if you have never driven, felt, both bushing types, don't discount the possibility that people are different, ride quality is subjective, and that you may or may not agree with the consensus. For a long time I had the idea that, based on consensus, Energy / PU bushings would be harsh and that I wouldn't like them. So, I avoided them until about 2 years ago when I was refreshing one of my 240zs. For this one, and for a lot of reasons, I decided to go the PU route. I installed PU everywhere except for ...... anti-roll bar (used rubber), t/c rod, (used rubber front and back), and strut bump stops (used Koni). Springs are old schoold MSA blue  lowering springs (NLA) and red Koni classic strut inserts. And, I am using the original front-only anti-roll bar setup (key in my opinion to good ride quality). I used / over used the lube that comes with the Energy PU bushings. I was really shocked by the results. No squeaks. I personally don't hear any additional road noise (or drivetrain noise). I love the responsiveness. The ride is excellent, as is the handling. Again, all of this is my opinion based on my experiences. I should mention though that I have felt harsh in a zcar. When I was a kid I installed derlin camber bushings in my 280z with lowering springs and big anti-roll bars. That car was harsh. I am too old for that now. One KEY point too regarding my 240z is the tires are 195 70 14 Vredesteins. At some point I will try 16" wheels and 205 55 tires, and see what the impact is. I should also mention that my 75 year old dad loves the balance (ride / handling) of this car and he insisted on rubber bushings when I refresh his 280z.

Second, some of you know that I had a swage shaped tool made to use in a press to install the stock mustache bar bushings. My offer stands to ship to anyone to borrow, use and return to me. 

Edited by jonathanrussell
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, jonathanrussell said:

First, if you have never driven, felt, both bushing types, don't discount the possibility that people are different, ride quality is subjective, and that you may or may not agree with the consensus

That's a good point, I'm firmly in the rubber camp except for the steering rack, sway bars and mustache bar, I just don't hear anything different than with rubber or at least I don't notice it.

But the best thing I ever did in the way of comfort and handling was pull out the stock one person bench seats and replace them with seats from the 350Z,  they are wonderful.