IGNORED

What's the most needed Z part that's currently NLA?

Namerow

4 hours ago, Sjoost said:

I had a really hard time finding a solution for the weather strip/ rubber strip which wipe the door windows. The strips that are mounted under the horizontal chrome strip on the doors.

Fifty-year old originals are typically rock-hard, chipped and barely function.  Requires correct profile in order to mount and function properly.  OE rubber has ‘fuzzy’ treatment on face that contacts the window glass. An important component for proper window glass motion and location.

Supply seemed to dry up ~ 2015.  No one seems to have found a good replacement rubber.

Can be had from ZCar Depot as part of their ‘Belt Molding Chrome Door Trim’ piece @ $79/side (molding is straight) or from Motorsport Auto as part of their ‘Reproduction Door Upper Molding Set’ @ $369/pair (moldings are curved like the OE pieces).

Not sure if either alternative has the correct ‘fuzzy’ treatment on the glass contact side.

I know this is essentually focused on the 240z, but a part that is becoming extreemly hard to fine in any condition is the 280Z bumper ends July 1976 onwards.

Front right being the hardest to find 62850-N4700 and left side 62851-N4700.

Right rear bumper end 85350-N4700 and left 85351-N4700

Screenshot_20210101-104128.jpg

Edited by EuroDat

On 4/20/2020 at 1:40 PM, siteunseen said:

Horn pad mount, the hard plastic on the backside of the black pad.  I have mine jimmy rigged but it still falls off.  MSA sales the pad itself but not the locking ring.

From https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic08d18/40-3140

Description
This is the genuine, original equipment (OEM) replacement horn pad. The outer ring and word "Datsun" are chrome and the background is satin black. This is the pad only and does not include the plastic ring that holds the pad in place.

@siteunseen I found the plastic horn button retainer on Zcardepot. I haven’t had a chance to install it yet, too busy with the engine refresh at the moment.  It looks like it will work well though. 

E469537E-F6A0-4091-80AD-EADBE57194C7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really need to do that replacement. I took the horn pad out of the car and brought it inside my house. Darn thing started falling off on the smallest bumps in the road. Then gets under my pedals and trying to move with a 240 seatbelt on is immposdible. They do not give any at all. I can't even use the radio while I'm driving. LOL

But I do like that feeling, kind of race car-ish.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

I really need to do that replacement. I took the horn pad out of the car and brought it inside my house. Darn thing started falling off on the smallest bumps in the road. Then gets under my pedals and trying to move with a 240 seatbelt on is immposdible. They do not give any at all. I can't even use the radio while I'm driving. LOL

But I do like that feeling, kind of race car-ish.

Hey Cliff,

First - Happy New Year, I hope you and yours remain safe in the coming months. Here's a pic of a recent horn pad repair I did. I opened a channel around the plastic collar with a small Dremel grinding bit, then added a light wire collar to tighten the cracks. Tighten some, check for fit, tighten more as might be required.

Jim

Horn Pad 02.jpg

Horn Pad 02.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, siteunseen said:

trying to move with a 240 seatbelt on is immposdible.

WHAT is it??  Oh impossible..  😂   Hihi.. yeah  I got a 4 point safety harness in my 240z.. moving forward or any other direction is about impossible.. (The orig. are also in it but i never use those.)

Happy new year to you all!  

Mart.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Trnelson said:

I found the plastic horn button retainer on Zcardepot.

This part is now also being produced by Steve Nix at 240ZRubberParts.com.  As noted somewhere else, 'Out of Stock' does not mean, 'out of stock forever'.  It just means that you'll need to contact Steve directly to place a request...

240z Horn Pad replacement ring NEW

$25.00 out of stock!

Inner 240z horn Pad replacement ring new. 

Remove the old inner ring and glue/epoxy the new ring to the Pad.

Molded from an original 240z Ring and reproduced in a industrial strength hard urethane plastic.

Replacement ring only, Horn pad not included.

@DutchZcarguy

Unless you have a roll bar, please ditch your four-point harness!

Back in the 1960s I had a DKW 1000.  Like the 240, it was hardtop, that is to say skinny pillars front and back, and none at the back edge of the doors.  Wearing a simple seat belt, I had a roll over. On the drivers side, the top of the windshield frame came down as low as the top of the horn button.  Whether because of instinct or impact I bent over at the waist, probably below the dashboard. With  the flexibility of my then-18 year-old body, and more importantly the lack of any shoulder restraint, I was able to crawl out of the car with no more harm than a bit of glass in one eye.  If I had a three or four point harness, I would not today be enjoying my 240Z, my golden years, and the company of this prestigious forum. 

I may probably be breaking some law, but my 240Z has just a three-inch lap belt.  

As is required by law, modern cars have substantial pillars that serve the same purpose as  roll bars.  My DKW and our early Z cars do not have this.  The weight of the car will crush the roof.  

Happy New Year, and be safe all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1