zKars

New Product Idea. Distributor Timing Plate Re-Design

Posted (edited)

Could be plated, powder coated, Mac Tac’ed, carbon fibre wrapped, sponge painted, you name it.

Questions, comments, etc appreciated. I can send a few of you a “test” part and you can tell me what you think if that works. 

I’ve been installing them on local cars, no issues so far.

You can literally put the bolt in anywhere on the circumference. If the “right” spot is on a bridge, you just adjust the small bolt location to move it around enough. 

The only fly in the ointment so far is that there are two sizes needed. 

The dang distributors with points have a smaller inner and outer bolt circle than the later electronic styles. So I have a SMALL and LARGE version of this plate. Fits all the L4 and L6 distributors I’ve tried so far. Just have to have the right one.

I have been thinking about a way to make one plate for both, but it means large width slots and washers to span the gaps. Works, but..... 

Anyway first things first.

Edited by zKars
    • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I like it.  A quick fix for many who have messed up engines. 

It also is nice for folks who upgrade from points to ZX and didn't get the right base.

Plus: Bling!

image.png

Edited by 240260280
    • Like 1
    • Haha 2

Very sweet idea . Even the best of us can’t get that damn shaft to line up the first time . Though I hope to never deal with that again - I REALLY like the idea . 
    I actually considered scribing the timing cover for the vague 11:25 position 

Posted (edited)

Cool! I hoped it would meet with general approval. Seems that is the case. 

I sent some out for Yellow Zinc plating, hope they get back before Alberta closes all non-essential services. I can powder coat gloss black, Cast Aluminum, blue, red here in the shop, or supply them “naked” and let you do the sanding, prep and final finish.

But first, of course, we need to run a contest for the best name for this thing. Free timing plate to the best three suggestions. 

Edited by zKars

Is that water jet cut?

Don't forget to mark the "up" side.

• Like 1

It’s laser cut. And it does need a way to indicate top and bottom. The “A” is still an “A” when it’s upside down.... Maybe it should be “R” . Maybe time to buy that desktop Laser engraver I keep getting badgered about on FaceBook.

Name Possibilities:

Time It!

Dizzy Disk

TimeBase

TimeSlot

AnyTime!

AnyTooth

That thing with the slots.....

• Like 2

"Advanced Auto Part"  lol  I can hear the lawyers.

How about some silly that may stick:

"Dizard"  (Distributor Wizard)

Or more common words:

"Time Piece"

"Time-Less"

"On-Time"

"Any-Time"

"Dis-Trust"

I see a hole and an A.  Maybe you could come up with a name that reflects that somehow?

You could change the "A" to a "Adv" so it would make it clear which way was up.

How about the Uni-Disk? For the universal-mount distributor disk. Or "Z-Disk" just to get the "Z" in there somewhere (even though it works on other cars).

• Like 1

Spindle adaptor for a 45 rpm record? I haven't seen one of those in a looong time.

Yeah, I kept looking at Jim's disk and thinking "I've seen that somewhere before".

It's not Tron's disk and I couldn't find anything Klingon that looks similar.

"About time" - as it has been over 50 years that this problem has been looking for a solution. "Time slots" maybe? "Time out".... stop me!!!

Nice idea.  Question comes to mind though...  could something like this damage an engine if timing is pushed too far one way or another?  Maybe the current plate was designed to prevent this kind of issue?

If you retard the timing too much, the engine won't run.

You can run the car with the static timing at 30 degrees. It will ping like crazy if you aren't running racing gas...So I've heard from a friend.

1 hour ago, 240260280 said:

1-5-3-6-2-4

This could be the name. 153624 distributor mounting plate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Nice idea.  Question comes to mind though...  could something like this damage an engine if timing is pushed too far one way or another?  Maybe the current plate was designed to prevent this kind of issue?

Interesting point. If the main bolt comes loose, I wonder which the dizzy body would naturally tend to rotate? At least a good point to include in the instructions. 

33 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

This could be the name. 153624 distributor mounting plate.

Since it works on the L4 as well, would have to include 1342 as well.  Maybe not a bad idea to inscribe both. It does add considerable expense to have them engraved however. The laser cutter cannot be used to do both cut and engrave. I suppose I should engrave a trade mark as well. Trying hard to make this cheap and easy, not get rich or make so expensive that it won’t do all the good I hope it does. I understand the danger of feature creep. Add this, add that, make it shinier, etc etc. 

A stamp should work.  Even an ink stamp.  There's some good inks out there that will hold up.

And the stamped side would be the obvious "up" side.

Edited by Zed Head

29 minutes ago, zKars said:

Interesting point. If the main bolt comes loose, I wonder which the dizzy body would naturally tend to rotate? At least a good point to include in the instructions. 

The danger is in the advance getting too high, retard is not an issue. Even things like spark plug wire tension might affect which way it would tend to wander. Maybe an addition “Stop” of some sort (small bolt and nut) to add to the slot CW of the main hold down bolt to prevent it wandering in that direction? 

21 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

A stamp should work.  Even an ink stamp.  There's some good inks out there that will hold up.

And the stamped side would be the obvious "up" side.

I like that idea. A quick browse of laser engravers that can do steel are out of the price range of practicality and $$. I may be able to find a service that does it that makes the per item cost reasonable. 

I know! I’ll hand engrave and sign each one. Harder to knock off. I have one of these.

F5B33BF6-8312-44D3-AB65-B6091292B61E.png

Edited by zKars
    • Like 1

Maybe the “Jim Shim”...
    any reason to run one with the onesix dizzy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk