IGNORED

New Product Idea. Distributor Timing Plate Re-Design

zKars

Could be plated, powder coated, Mac Tac’ed, carbon fibre wrapped, sponge painted, you name it.

Questions, comments, etc appreciated. I can send a few of you a “test” part and you can tell me what you think if that works. 

I’ve been installing them on local cars, no issues so far.

You can literally put the bolt in anywhere on the circumference. If the “right” spot is on a bridge, you just adjust the small bolt location to move it around enough. 

The only fly in the ointment so far is that there are two sizes needed. 

The dang distributors with points have a smaller inner and outer bolt circle than the later electronic styles. So I have a SMALL and LARGE version of this plate. Fits all the L4 and L6 distributors I’ve tried so far. Just have to have the right one.

I have been thinking about a way to make one plate for both, but it means large width slots and washers to span the gaps. Works, but..... 

Anyway first things first.

Edited by zKars
  • Like 2

Very sweet idea . Even the best of us can’t get that damn shaft to line up the first time . Though I hope to never deal with that again - I REALLY like the idea . 
I actually considered scribing the timing cover for the vague 11:25 position 

Cool! I hoped it would meet with general approval. Seems that is the case. 

I sent some out for Yellow Zinc plating, hope they get back before Alberta closes all non-essential services. I can powder coat gloss black, Cast Aluminum, blue, red here in the shop, or supply them “naked” and let you do the sanding, prep and final finish.

But first, of course, we need to run a contest for the best name for this thing. Free timing plate to the best three suggestions. 

Edited by zKars

It’s laser cut. And it does need a way to indicate top and bottom. The “A” is still an “A” when it’s upside down.... Maybe it should be “R” . Maybe time to buy that desktop Laser engraver I keep getting badgered about on FaceBook.

Name Possibilities:

Time It!

Dizzy Disk

TimeBase

TimeSlot

AnyTime!

AnyTooth

That thing with the slots.....

• Like 2

I see a hole and an A.  Maybe you could come up with a name that reflects that somehow?

You could change the "A" to a "Adv" so it would make it clear which way was up.

How about the Uni-Disk? For the universal-mount distributor disk. Or "Z-Disk" just to get the "Z" in there somewhere (even though it works on other cars).

• Like 1