IGNORED

COVID-19

Zed Head

New York state will have a state-wide executive order about face coverings.  He gives clear instruction on what that means also.  I think that that has been the big failing in getting people to wear face coverings.  No clear guidance about where and when.  "If you can't maintain 6 feet distance, pull up the cover."  Pretty simple.

It's been my suspicion all along that the reason everyone wearing a mask (of some sort) was played down by the Feds was they knew of the extremely limited stock and the panic that would ensue. Imagine, if the Feds had said, Everyone has to mask up. It would have been uglier than it already is. However, looking at old photos of US cities in 1918, I found one of a man boarding a streetcar in Seattle. Everyone was masked in bandanas and the like. No N95s back then. The caption stated that no one was allowed to ride without a mask.

• Like 1

Pretty bad day yesterday, April 14th,  with a big spike in US Covid daily deaths.  New Jersey had a large spike along with Michigan, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Louisiana, Texas and Ohio.  Looks like we may not have hit the peak yet and are not flattening on deaths.

Odd thing about the chart are the dips on April 5 and April 12, both a Sunday.  Makes me think some states may be under-reporting or not reporting on the weekends.

People are starting to get restless. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/04/15/lansing-capitol-protest-michigan-stay-home-order/5139472002/

Still bothers me that you can't fish, surf, golf, or go to National Parks and maintain distancing.

graph1.JPG

Edited by motorman7

1 hour ago, Mark Maras said:

It's been my suspicion all along that the reason everyone wearing a mask (of some sort) was played down by the Feds was they knew of the extremely limited stock and the panic that would ensue. Imagine, if the Feds had said, Everyone has to mask up. It would have been uglier than it already is. However, looking at old photos of US cities in 1918, I found one of a man boarding a streetcar in Seattle. Everyone was masked in bandanas and the like. No N95s back then. The caption stated that no one was allowed to ride without a mask.

Yup... in Philly they would shoot you.... @Captain Obvious

• Like 1

So I had a disastrous day the other day . A spare windshield fell from my attic  and hit my car on the way down the ladder . What’s this have to do with Covid19?

Hagerty sent someone out to the house to write up an estimate on repairs since my car isn’t drivable right now . We are a bit paranoid about anyone coming to the house , so I had a plan to keep my distance . The guy showed up and had no mask . I asked him how was doing in the “Covid” world - I was making small talk to let him know it was on my mind . I led him behind my house to the detached garage and he coughs a couple of times and doesn’t even cover his mouth. I’m like WTF!

So I called him out about it, he could tell I was pissed. He said “ it’s just a smokers hack- I smoke “ .  I said it doesn’t matter , you should be covering your mouth at least .

It just shows you how ill informed people are and how stupid people can be. In his case , he was just an inconsiderate arse hole . I called Hagerty and went off on the guy. Hope he gets fired . 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, motorman7 said:

Pretty bad day yesterday, April 14th,  with a big spike in US Covid daily deaths. 

Did you know that the CDC changed their reporting guidelines recently?

https://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2020/04/10/dewinenew-covid-19-reporting-guidelines-includes.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/new-york-start-reporting-probable-coronavirus-deaths-cdc-n1184821

It's thought that actual COVID-19 caused deaths might be higher than thought, due to unconfirmed home deaths.

https://www.propublica.org/article/theres-been-a-spike-in-people-dying-at-home-in-several-cities-that-suggests-coronavirus-deaths-are-higher-than-reported

4 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

Back in 1918, all they had was a bandana or piece of cloth. Plenty of people are using the same now. I think we get on our high horse and want "special" equipment for everything.

Heck, when I was in high school if you were training, running, lifting, playing basketball, your choice of shoes was: Converse Chuck Taylor high tops or low tops? Black or white? That was it. The only sports with special shoes were baseball, football and wrestling - and half the guys in wrestling wore Chuck Taylors as well. Now we have different shoes for everything...and I'm not convinced most amateurs are good enough to need them.

We could be doing better and more people would wear some kind of mouth and nose covering if the health gurus had been willing to say "hey, a bandana over your nose and mouth is better than nothing."  But no, everybody wants an M95 mask - and I probably won't even see one in my lifetime.

• Like 1