IGNORED

COVID-19

Zed Head

This guy's presentation today is pretty fascinating in a macabre sort of way.  It is what it is, but worth tracking.  Won't be a surprise if travel is blocked.  Plan ahead.  Edit - actually travel is blocked right now.  Not going to change soon, I'd assume.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-cases

Edited by Zed Head

3 hours ago, Pilgrim said:

Here in Fort Collins CO most businesses have dropped mask requirements.  However, this county has one of the highest vaccination rates in the state. Last week I was in lovely Asheville, NC (what a gorgeous area, next to the Great Smoky Mt. National Park) and I would guess that about one-third of the businesses, especially the smaller businesses, required masks to enter.  I do note that NC has about a statewide 42% vaccination rate and CO is about 52%, although my county is higher. 

So my guess is that many business owners, especially small businesses, are keeping an eye on vaccination rates and making decisions about masks based on behavior in their local area.  

Lets not disregard the political aspect of this pandemic.

In Florida, the Governor dropped the mask mandate months ago and left it to the Mayors. Miami (Dem) kept lockdowns in place, certain percentages in bars, restaurants. Jacksonville (right of center sort of) did away with all restrictions soon after the Governor dropped his mandates.

Ashville is utra Liberal. California, Maryland and the likes were all pushing some kind of restriction in lockstep with most Liberal centers.

Not at all am I stoking a political discussion to be beaten like a dead horse, but there is definitely merit to the Left vs. Right aspect. Also note, after the mandates were dropped in Florida, the difference between lockdown States and free States were not far different in cases and deaths.

2 minutes ago, DC871F said:

Lets not disregard the political aspect of this pandemic.

I think that Mike asked us not to get in to politics.  Way too much rationalizing to be useful.  We have real numbers and science now to guide decisions.  

6 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

I think that Mike asked us not to get in to politics.  Way too much rationalizing to be useful.  We have real numbers and science now to guide decisions.  

I never saw that request, my apologies. I for one cant stand the political rhetoric with this, but the previous post describing two locations and the stark contrast has everything to do with politics.

Edited by DC871F

The point is about policy.  Often entwined with politics, but not the same.  Many government officials in the US with a certain political leaning still made decisions based on science.

As far as my posts, you have to watch the video.  Dig in deep, then comment.  Or at least click on the "Show more" link under his name and you can read a summary.  Look at the graphical data.  The UK is going to allow a large surge of COVID cases (if I wanted to invoke politics I'd mention how they're calling it Freedom Day).  That's geography, not politics.  The video talks about long COVID and it also presents the views of over 120 scientists (I think, not positive on number) who describe what is probably going to be the result of the decision.  The scientists think it is a bad decision and will lead to a greater burden on the citizens of the country.  And may lead to stronger variants that will affect the rest of the world.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)01589-0/fulltext

Excerpt - "As the third wave of the pandemic takes hold across England, the UK Government plans to further re-open the nation. Implicit in this decision is the acceptance that infections will surge, but that this does not matter because vaccines have “broken the link between infection and mortality”.

On July 19, 2021—branded as Freedom Day—almost all restrictions are set to end. We believe this decision is dangerous and premature."

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

35 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Anyway, on a more practical level.  For those thinking that they'll be able to travel outside the country soon.  Maybe a cruise ship?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/map-and-travel-notices.html

I didn't see America/ USA on any levels? Did I miss it or are we cured? LOL

48 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Anyway, on a more practical level.  For those thinking that they'll be able to travel outside the country soon.  Maybe a cruise ship?

My wife and I have decided that international travel is out until at least next year; vaccination rates outside the US are quite problematic.  Of course, there are plenty of interesting and beautiful places to explore inside the US.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DC871F said:

I for one cant stand the political rhetoric with this, but the previous post describing two locations and the stark contrast has everything to do with politics.

I have grown weary of the overly passionate partisan bickering, and the bad behavior and mob mentality of the masses. I don't engage in discussion of political matters with anyone anymore, save for an occasional conversation with Mrs. Racer 2.0, and do my best to ignore it all. My distaste for the whole mess had me close to not casting a ballot last year for the first time since I started voting at 18, 47 years ago.

I just go into the shop, turn on some music or car oriented programming on the TV, and work on my cars and equipment, or go spend time down by the river, watching it go by.

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

I didn't see America/ USA on any levels? Did I miss it or are we cured? LOL

I see it on this level, and I'm cured. 

Some of the steel they used to make The Big Shed is from Canada, eh?

canada.jpg

5CC34821-6550-448E-8EC0-EC5DF05B3C7E.jpeg

Edited by Racer X

2 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Wouldn't being confined to a ship increase risk of mass infection (of those not inoculated)?

37 minutes ago, Racer X said:

I have grown weary of the overly passionate partisan bickering, and the bad behavior and mob mentality of the masses. I don't engage in discussion of political matters with anyone anymore, save for an occasional conversation with Mrs. Racer 2.0, and do my best to ignore it all. My distaste for the whole mess had me close to not casting a ballot last year for the first time since I started voting at 18, 47 years ago.

I just go into the shop, turn on some music or car oriented programming on the TV, and work on my cars and equipment, or go spend time down by the river, watching it go by.

Same. I havent watched the news in almost 10 years, and now its getting to the point you cant even read it. You seem to do what I adopted about 2 years ago. Go out to the shop, put come CDs in, mow the grass, etc etc.

Keep the faith and still go to the ballot box.  America is going through a cultural revolution, albeit a weak one, this will pass, or collapse under its own weight.

• Like 2