IGNORED

Hitachi 280ZX Distributors

Av8ferg

You got to be willing to turn off automation as soon as the jet does something unexpected. Happens to me all the time. The MCAS system is faulty and late reaction by aircrew can put the aircraft in an unrecoverable attitude. Boeing screwed up by only putting one instrument that feed the MCAS. Should be redundant and they took the cheap route. Lastly they failed to inform the buyers how the system works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

So I’ve got a bunch of parts ready to order for this distributor. I’ve never heard of these two sites but they have the parts coming from Japan

https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-avtomobilej/nissan/280zx-2130/s130-6259/s130-182367/distributor-2307135

$20 shipping for Japan in 7 days.

Also found a new magnet for $9.86 plus $7.84 shipping from Japan on amayama.com

https://www.amayama.com/en/part/nissan/22158s6700

Total: $74.25
- stator # 22163-Q1700
- magnet assy # 22158-S6700
- signal rotor assy # 22115-Q1700
- coupling (plastic tip) #22119-W0400

Do you think these will be all I need for this rebuild?

Probably.  It probably works now, those parts will make it better.  I'm not an expert, I make my stuff work right, but can't say that it's "rebuilt".  The guy with the parts in hand has the best feel for what's needed.

Look through 246's writeup and see if you're missing anything. @240260280

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/distributorrebuild/index.html

• Like 1

I've refreshed many with success. If you have a few for parts to choose from then you are in a good place to take the best from all to make one good unit. As you have already disassembled some, you are 1/2 way there.

Thanks, with the parts I’ve ordered I think I can pull this off. Anyone know what kind of grease Blue was using in the rebuild write up? Looked green. I need to get some and the auto parts stores sell only wheel grease. 6fa6434c5376f997aac7a49c24b22de6.jpg

What are you going to do with the alternator? Do our '77s need adapters for the ZX alternators? Thanks!

Do you mean become of the lack of a built in voltage regulator? I had a shop rebuild my hitachi alternator for $80.

The grease used was general purpose wheel bearing grease from Canadian Tire.

Lucas Red "n" Tacky or Wurth SIG 3000 are good to have in your garage.

Just make sure all moving parts are sliding smoothly, especially the vac advance parts.

Also ensure the two springs are  in good shape.  Some rust and fail.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

Do you mean become of the lack of a built in voltage regulator? I had a shop rebuild my hitachi alternator for $80.

My mistake.  It's the 240s that need a different plug-in.  The ZX one in a '77 instructions below thanks to "Blue" @240260280.  And from your other post that Red and tacky by Lucas is my favorite.  I use a grease gun though so I've never bought any in a tub but I assume they have it?

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/alternatorswap/index.html

Edited by siteunseen

This has been and educational discussion. After much review I’m really liking the idea of the GM HEI approach. Seems low cost, highly effective and easy to do. I’ve found there are tons of them online from various manufacturers. Does anyone have an idea which is a quality on. Read the GM (ACDelco) is a good one and it’s only $29 on Amazon. My question is as long as it a 4 pin HEI we should be good. Will put a spare in the glove box.

33 minutes ago, Av8ferg said:

Spent the last two days in Panama for work.  No junkyards with Zs here and I still have my kidneys .  Headed home, to rebuild that distributor.

And you could have looked up Jalex and helped him with his ongoing carb float adjustment.  ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1