IGNORED

Mint '71 240Z - More Fun Coming to BaT

DatsunZGuy

9 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

Whether Series 1 - 2 or 3 is an original Nissan term is irrelevant, IMO. The fact is the terms Series 1, etc terms are a better way to reflect changes than the model years. 

I disagree. First of all, the choice of the word 'Series' clashes with Nissan's own methodology, but secondly these vernacular 'Series' numbers are not accurate descriptors for individual car content. And that's what they are tending to be used for.

Example: @26th-Z Chris' HLS30-00026 will be described as a 'Series 1', so what will have been the content of the car when it rolled off the production line in 1969? Would it have had carpets? Would it have had a heated rear window? Would it have had a splash pan? 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the answers to those three questions for that particular car would be no, no and no. So are these three details 'Series 1' characteristics? I don't believe they are. And that's without going into the (stop me if you've heard this one before...) 'Made For USA' type mindsets - as seen on the comments for this 310kUSD BaT car - which seem oblivious to the fact that there were other variants, with different content, on the drawing board and on the production line at the same time...

I can see why the terms came about - as a necessity to pigeonhole after the fact - but the word 'Series' was a bad choice. Production date, market variant and chassis prefix + body serial number combo are still the best way to define an individual car.            

We, Datsun dealer personnel in the US,  were taught, by the factory, to identify cars by production date and model name, i.e. 3/72  510 2 door.  It was explained to us as being the best way to get the correct parts from the mechanic's parts counter in the dealership. Not trying to be argumentative - just stating the historical record as experienced by me.

PS I worked in Datsun dealers as a mechanic from 1970-1980 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, zspert said:

We, Datsun dealer personnel in the US,  were taught, by the factory, to identify cars by production date and model name, i.e. 3/72  510 2 door.  It was explained to us as being the best way to get the correct parts from the mechanic's parts counter in the dealership. Not trying to be argumentative - just stating the historical record as experienced by me.

PS I worked in Datsun dealers as a mechanic from 1970-1980 

And that's the correct way, if you look in the factory parts manuals it shows chassis ranges, but also production dates as guides for part no's. If you called a dealer and said it was a series 1 you needed a part for, they may send you the wrong part!

• Like 1

You are not wrong, Alan.  It goes a little deeper than that, IMO.  My two 1969 builds have different parts than the car on BaT.  Inspection lid clips, rubber hood bumpers, and badging to name but three.  My inspection lids have little tabs riveted on and all my badging is metal including solid chrome Zs on the quarter panels.  To the best of my knowledge, both cars had carpeting fitted at the port of entry.  ( I was so lucky years ago to find a brand new piece of clear hatch glass )

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 26th-Z said:

To the best of my knowledge, both cars had carpeting fitted at the port of entry.  ( I was so lucky years ago to find a brand new piece of clear hatch glass )

Funny enough all AU market cars had the clear glass. I actually want the vertical defrost glass. It was later I discovered the early 69 build cars had the clear glass only in North America.

21 hours ago, kats said:

Let’s have a break  , before I am going to post about chassis number . 

How about my seats ? Looks good as re-upholstery seats. Later slim type used palm sheet in the seat back and bottom.

Kats

063D41A0-1046-4557-86DE-FCED99BA7539.jpeg

BACC834C-BBEE-4BA4-8C29-1F90D3A51102.jpeg

C2423622-8D01-444D-8A0E-FDDEA7567B41.png

FF1D6540-563B-4ABE-A9D2-AB46BDF8682C.png

Hi Kats. Are the blue seat covers reproductions? If so, how does the color match to the original set covers? Where did you buy them? Thanks!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gav240z said:

Funny enough all AU market cars had the clear glass. I actually want the vertical defrost glass. It was later I discovered the early 69 build cars had the clear glass only in North America.

Not forgetting that the S30-S 'Z-Std'/Standard model for the Japanese market got the non-defrost rear glass from '69 (HRW an extra cost showroom option on that model) whilst the 'Deluxe' models - PS30 Fairlady Z432 and S30 Fairlady Z-L - got it as standard equipment.

I've got a vertical-element heated rear window in the back of the garages somewhere. Standard equipment on UK market cars (guess why). You're welcome to have it. Probably got the switch and harness sections too. You might need it soon. New ice age on the way, apparently...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, HS30-H said:

Not forgetting that the S30-S 'Z-Std'/Standard model for the Japanese market got the non-defrost rear glass from '69 (HRW an extra cost showroom option on that model) whilst the 'Deluxe' models - PS30 Fairlady Z432 and S30 Fairlady Z-L - got it as standard equipment.

I've got a vertical-element heated rear window in the back of the garages somewhere. Standard equipment on UK market cars (guess why). You're welcome to have it. Probably got the switch and harness sections too. You might need it soon. New ice age on the way, apparently...

Funny, I have been looking for some years for clear glass rear glass for one of my 69's. But didn't know Australian cars had it. Knew about the Japanese cars. Finally found it in the US from a Fairlady Z...