IGNORED

Front bumper reinf

Dkulka

Hi guys

I rarely see this reinforcement plate on cars. I will remove it when I refurb & paint.

I suspect my 73 has the wrong bumpers as they fit terribly. Looks like the PO covered the bumpers and engine/inner hood compartment with rhino liner type stuff. If flakes off the bumpers real easy and looks bad as you can see. Bumper are rust free.

My question is was this plate on all 240Z's? And why don't I see them on internet pictures. Must be the looks.

20191108_172740[1].jpg

To clarify--

The 73 240z did not have shock absorbers incorporated into the bumper support mounts---that actually came late in 74.5 260z  and into 75 in the 280z when the bumpers became the really large projecting "parkbench" type.

The bumper support mounts were a very heavy stamped steel plate assembly with a round steel tube transversely mounted at the end. These are much more massive than the thin flat metal strapping that mounted the earlier bumpers and was indeed a design change to make the front bumper assembly more crash worthy. (If you agree that deformation of the bumper would still occur, but no "crush" of the bumper into the radiator support or engine compartment at a 5 mph frontal impact was an improvement.)

As crash standards evolved to higher speed impacts (15 mph??) the transition to the shock absorber (controlled crush tube) method was implemented.

Your car has the correct mounts and bumper. The plate you mentioned is not for reinforcement,  but is merely a filler to close the otherwise large gap, and is correct. You are missing the front bumper over riders (or as some describe them "bumperettes") and the rubber covered filler pieces that fill the gap between the steel bumper and the headlight buckets (sugar scoops) above the turn signal indicator lights at the far ends of the bumper. The steel bumper covers most of this piece at each end. This is a photo of the passenger side filler. The drivers side is reversed.

s-l1600.jpg

If the bumpers "fit terribly" as you state, it was the poor assembly work of the last person that mounted them. If done properly they fit quite well.

Finding the rubber filler end pieces in restorable condition can be difficult in my experience. Many have deteriorated to the point of being very hard and cracked even if you do find them. Better candidates can be restored by applying many layers of a paintable rubber compound such as "Plastidip", drying between coats and sanding with progressively finer grits, then finishing with a final spray of Duplicolor "Vinyl Fabric".

If you decide that this is too much to go through--- you can remove the 73 bumper, all of the filler pieces entirely, remove the heavy stamped steel bumper supports and replace them with the earlier type strapping supports, and source a used or new early bumper which will fit up much closer to the body. The earlier 70, 71, 72 240z bumpers are different from the later 73 240z bumpers in shape. Fortunately the mounting holes with concealed weld nuts for the earlier bumper supports are still present on the 73 body and can be used to mount the earlier bumper supports and earlier bumper.

Edited by Zup
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Zup said:

Finding the rubber filler end pieces in restorable condition can be difficult in my experience. Many have deteriorated to the point of being very hard and cracked even if you do find them. Better candidates can be restored

If i'm not mistaking i've got a set of those. AND  in next to new condition.. (saw them years ago on ebay for 200 per piece.. in rather old condition!)

i post some pics.. in a minute.. they look alike… not sure..

Now i looked at them, these are different, but are peaces for a 240z bumper? can someone explain what these are?  part numbers are on the 3th pic.

N3300 in the partnr. says it is a 260z or a superseeding nr. for a 240z part?

After a cleanup they will look like new.

20191109_114414.jpg

20191109_114429.jpg

20191109_114456.jpg

Edited by dutchzcarguy

2 hours ago, 87mj said:

But, it looks like the correct '73 bumper to me.

It is.

1 hour ago, dutchzcarguy said:

After a good look, i think they are the right / same  parts.  just photographed from an different angle!

They are the same parts--you gave much more complete photos.

Looks like a very nice set you have there Martin!

5 minutes ago, Zup said:

Looks like a very nice set you have there Martin!

Yup! Jim,  As you know i'm busy with a 280zx.. so i can use some more money for the painter..  (I just added here on my 280zx story a LOT of pictures with some comments  CHECK IT OUT!) 

I could clean them up for you and send some pics if you want..  (i know you want... ?  ) 

• Like 2

Thanks for all the reply's

My bumper is far forward where is should be which made me wonder about being original.

I am missing the valance but I intend to fit in a fiberglass unit when time comes.

Sorry to some but I am not a purist. This will all be fitted correctly or better. I may even paint the bumpers. No hurry with changes.

Hood issue covered many times. Hood springs hold up the hood 1/2" or more. No adjustment to fix this. Removing them makes the hood fit acceptable. I made accept a hood prop. That sucks.

long term project for sure.

Dave

20191109_183847[1].jpg