IGNORED

BAT 1970 240Z HLS30-04930

wheee!

Nice car, I hope it goes for a nice price. Ok I have read it a couple of times and am I miss reading it or does it state that it is a low milage car somewhere? They write that the odometer shows 37859 when parked in the 90's and that the log book kept track of the milage from 72 till it was parked, but the photo does not show the pages right before it was parked?

Edited by 240dkw
Deleted comment after rereading write up

This seems to be a very nice example.  I think it's probably at the top of the price range, but nice early examples are selling higher.  I wouldn't put much faith in this being some low mileage example. 

If I could take a moment and call out the the 'facebook experts' for their serious lack of knowledge and inability to seek reliable, documented information.  Whew!!! Those people say the damnedest things!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 26th-Z said:

If I could take a moment and call out the the 'facebook experts' for their serious lack of knowledge and inability to seek reliable, documented information.  Whew!!! Those people say the damnedest things!

What did you think about the carpet discussion?

One of the latest came-out-of-nowhere bulk dealers states that he has seen no variation on '69 through '73(?) carpets (says they were all the same), which I find pretty remarkable seeing as the very first type of carpeting in North American market cars was manufactured by a third party in the USA until the factory started fitting them a little later on. Identical?

One of his customers is backing him up, of course. It's like a Punch and Judy show. 

I dunno. The car is in great shape but I think it surpassed its value in bidding so far. The door dents and other multiple non working components leave a lot to be desired. I thought it was a $30,000 car tops.

5 minutes ago, HS30-H said:

What did you think about the carpet discussion?

One of the latest came-out-of-nowhere bulk dealers states that he has seen no variation on '69 through '73(?) carpets (says they were all the same), which I find pretty remarkable seeing as the very first type of carpeting in North American market cars was manufactured by a third party in the USA until the factory started fitting them a little later on. Identical?

One of his customers is backing him up, of course. It's like a Punch and Judy show. 

Punch and Judy Show - ha!!  You got me!

I completely agree and in fact bought two sets of carpeting from that very manufacturer years ago when I had the chance.  The early cars didn't come with carpeting and it was added at the port of entry.  

3 minutes ago, 26th-Z said:

I completely agree and in fact bought two sets of carpeting from that very manufacturer years ago when I had the chance.  The early cars didn't come with carpeting and it was added at the port of entry.  

That's stuff I learned about right here, courtesy yourself and Mike B. Thank you.

5 hours ago, Patcon said:

How does this car compare to the care Captain Obvious posted about the other day?

I didn't check out the car in this BAT auction, but some of the details about the one I posted about.

Supposedly original owner and supposedly just 49K miles. There was some circumstantial evidence to support the mileage claim, and I assume there was a Pennsylvania title for the car that would confirm or deny the original owner claim.

There had been some bodywork done on the blue one I posted about. The story was that something fell on the car while in the garage and mushed the hood a little bit. The owner fixed the hood and (if I understood the story correctly) painted it himself. It was unclear if the rest of the car had been repainted or if it was original paint. There were several blemishes in the paint where it appeared that the top layer of blue had come off showing a slightly different shade of blue beneath. There were some areas where it appeared there was a tape line, but it's unclear to me if it was a tape line, or a natural delineation.

There was evidence of some "not crappy, but not great" rust repair on at least one of the dogleg corners.

The blue one had some engine compartment modifications. Probably some sort of electronic ignition aftermarket mod. From what I heard, there was lots of electronic and electrical "thingies" around the house, so it appears the owner had some electrics experience.

I would be willing to use the term "Survivor" for the blue one if it was original paint. I would use the term "good neglected condition" if it had been sprayed.

• Like 1

Again, I feel for the seller as there's a few people on there trying to create themselves as the focal point for all things 'Z'. It goes to show just how people believe what they read on line and how when a collective get together it can become the norm.

Not to mention the endless advertising that one of the posters does.

• Like 1

I have a 60k mile car and a ~110k? mile car neither of which could be verified in a court of law.  My observation was the pics of the front suspension seem to have quite a bit of surface rust for a 38k car.