IGNORED

Random Misfire while cruising

I pulled out plugs 4 5 and 6. 
IMG-20210816-WA0134.thumb.jpeg.f768ad47cb011cb156ae59981b0ec00c.jpeg
20210816_174055.thumb.jpg.ee512013f97348a7c146b2e74d99203f.jpg
20210816_174305.thumb.jpg.9e1419e08acee699c39bc33b3a56c482.jpg

These plugs in the above photos to my eyes look surprisingly OK / perfect. Were they pulled after idling or normal driving?

At the risk of adding any confusion - Referring to your photo which I edited below: if I knew nothing about your engine and saw this photo, I would have said you have an electrical issue on 4 (not firing strongly / consistently enough) and that your front carb is running leaner than your rear carb. But then also would be asking why 3 looks OK, given it’s on the same front carb.

90d76a5953b808eb4906cb0be7154196.jpg

Don’t go pulling the head yet - I strongly agree with what has already been said about doing a wet / dry comp test again and share with us please.
  • Like 2

On 8/14/2021 at 5:36 PM, Mark Maras said:

A couple of questions? Did you use a straw over the valve stems to prevent damaging the new seals? Are those plugs a new set? Don't pull the head yet. You need a good reason to do that. If you're absolutely positive you didn't damage the new seals, I'd do another compression test, dry and wet.

Compression test results

20210822_155932.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing that.

I was looking for problems on 4 but you compressions are very consistent across the cyls. What I find intriguing though is that they all seem rather low. I was expecting over 150, below 200!

It could just be the gauge that is at fault but what is important is that your cyl 4 isn’t low compared with the rest.

So, are you still having issues or has it improved since you did the seals?

• Agree 1

@jalexquijano Give us the details of the compression test. Throttle open or closed? Oil or no oil in the cylinders? I'm pleased and bewildered that the compression is that even. I too expected something closer to 160 psi and #4 lower than the rest. If the throttle was closed during the test, I'd like to see the #s again with the throttle wide open.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I shudder at what I'm about to theorize and I hope I'm wrong. I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on this theory and if there's a method of confirming it or hopefully blowing it out of the water (borescope?). So far, we've crossed off ignition problems, valve seal has been renewed, several compression tests have always been within specs or explainable if they weren't (throttle closed), carbs are tuned, valves have been set, I'm now down to asking myself what could foul #4 plug and I'm left with a broken oil ring in #4, If the top ring compression ring is good, that could explain no compression loss. What do y'all think?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

California Datsun motor, that's the problem and most likely Jorge has had this problem since day 1. My opinion from all I've read over 10 plus years about California Datsun. He sold a motor to a dude in Panama. No chance of any blowback.

No shudder here Mr Maras. :love:

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 2