IGNORED

1970 Franklin Mint 240Z up for Auction on BaT

On 6/8/2019 at 8:43 PM, psdenno said:

Please allow me to add one more bullet:

•. A rising tide lifts all boats.

Dennis

Tsunamis on the other hand...

There's an old Japanese proverb which translates along the lines of "Too many oarsmen will row the boat up a mountain."

• Like 2

Ok  soggyfishtaco, I spent a lot of time going through Paul's invoices when I should have been working on customer's cars but here it is. Beginning in 9/93 I replaced a lot of parts and fasteners that were worn or incorrect. Remember, back then most of this stuff could still be had from Nissan. This is not meant to be a complete list, just some of the high lights

Battery cables (2), radiator fasteners, distributor fasteners ( I still have a few factory screw sets), valve cover loom stands, oil pressure switch and voltage reg cover. I also did some routine maintenance. Someone had lifted the car without padding the lift arms so I also repaired some related damage/scuffs

5/94 saw the replacement of his dash, carpets, trans tunnel vinyl, heater control valve, horn relay, etc, etc, etc

Several visits where I replaced things like headlamp assys which just didn't meet Paul's requirements, installed the correct radio brackets, etc

Did a lot of intake/exhaust  manifold detailing and other stuff which lead to the Gold Medallion at Atlanta

Given that a restoration is never really finished the next several years up to 8/17 saw maintenance, left door hinges, a starter, left window reg, carb rebuild (Z Therapy did the throttle shafts and I did the rest)

8/17, final visit. He brought me an NOS air injection manifold and fuel rail which I installed with fresh factory gaskets and fasteners, etc     Cheers

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

The Franklin Mint 240Z sold again. On Instagram over the last few months or so I saw that it was in the 240ZGuild's shop for the last few months having some work done (mostly the underside) and was also displayed in their showroom:  

Well the Franklin Mint car has found a new home with a great car family on the East Coast where it will be placed in a beautiful car collection, while also being driven and on display in various places.

While not getting too far into the sale details for obvious privacy reasons between the Buyer and Seller, we can say the sale price was an obvious next level six figure sale based on recent record sales, and will continue to rise as the value trend continues climb for Top Tier and Historic Examples.

This car has been a pleasure from start to finish, and it has been a pleasure for the 240z Guild to help facilitate this re-home to a great car enthusiast family.

"mostly the underside" I sure hope they didn't screw up the assembly marks like they seem to do to every Z that slips through their hands. Last time I worked on Paul's car the underside was PERFECT!

15 hours ago, zspert said:

"mostly the underside" I sure hope they didn't screw up the assembly marks like they seem to do to every Z that slips through their hands. Last time I worked on Paul's car the underside was PERFECT!

Here's some more on the Franklin Mint Car including the aforementioned underside shots:

As mentioned in another thread, and probably more appropriate here, the story I heard about the BAT auction of this car is that the high bidder Larry (lsteppe) already owned the car when he “bought” it for his six figure high bid - being the highest price paid for a Z at the time.

Another collector was offered the car sometime before the BAT auction for $65K, but passed.  He told me Larry then bought the car from that seller.  Larry has some sort of collaboration with Robert (the 240z guild) and they have a number of his cars in their showroom in OK.  It seems Larry had his buddy Robert (the 240z guild) put the car on BAT so he could bid it up to a six figure price.  So Larry’s bid didn’t really didn’t matter as he already owned the car and didn’t have to pay Robert (the 240z guild) for it. Granted, he did have to pay the $5K buyers premium to BAT.

But, if he was able to sell it now for six figures, seems that his initial purchase around $65K and the $5K buyers premium for the “fake” auction to set a high price has paid off for him.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1