IGNORED

Fuel pump issues!

moozieman

Ummm okay... so after some rewireing and stuff I got the fuel pump working... maybe. Lol. I connected it straight to a battery and could hear it spin up. So I fed it some fuel and this happened... What does that sound like? I’ve heard it crank, but it’s never made that violent sound in the middle. Is it firing?

Edited by moozieman

Those sound like starter noises to me. Could be loose, bad teeth. Hard to tell by the video how many times the key is being turned. You could get a manual starter switch, that you connect to the starter. Then you can spin the engine while standing beside the car to narrow down the source of the noise.

11 hours ago, Patcon said:

Those sound like starter noises to me. Could be loose, bad teeth. Hard to tell by the video how many times the key is being turned. You could get a manual starter switch, that you connect to the starter. Then you can spin the engine while standing beside the car to narrow down the source of the noise.

Use 4' piece of garden hose as a stethoscope to pinpoint the noise while starting the engine.

The noise in the video just sounded like the starter re-engaging when the engine fired once.  Pretty common when having starting problems.

You're not really following a good plan.  To test your pump, pull the yellow wire from the starter and turn the key to Start.  You should hear the pump run.  If you have a gauge connected you should see the needle move.  If you want to leave the pump running, turn the key on, and move the AFM weight.  Ideally you would actually get a fuel pressure number.  With a $30 eBay pump it's possible that you won't get full pressure or that the pump will overheat quickly.  Who knows.  Letting the pump run with  a gauge connected will answer that question.  It will also tell you if your hoses are connected correctly.

Testing the engine with starter fluid is pretty simple, but if you want to save a few dollars, just pour some gasoline directly in to the intake manifold through one of the vacuum ports.  It's dangerous, of course, but it's the same method carb guys use, except they pour it through the carb throats.  You can also use carb cleaner through a vacuum port.

Edited by Zed Head
speeling erors

44 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

The noise in the video just sounded like the starter re-engaging when the engine fired once.  Pretty common when having starting problems.

You're not really following a good plan.  To test your pump, pull the yellow wire from the starter and turn the key to Start.  You should hear the pump run.  If you have a gauge connected you should see the needle move.  If you want to leave the pump running, turn the key on, and move the AFM weight.  Ideally you would actually get a fuel pressure number.  With a $30 eBay pump it's possible that you won't get full pressure or that the pump will overheat quickly.  Who knows.  Letting the pump run with  a gauge connected will answer that question.  It will also tell you if your hoses are connected correctly.

Testing the engine with starter fluid is pretty simple, but if you want to save a few dollars, just pour some gasoline directly in to the intake manifold through one of the vacuum ports.  It's dangerous, of course, but it's the same method carb guys use, except they pour it through the carb throats.  You can also use carb cleaner through a vacuum port.

The fuel pump makes no noise at all so I feel like it’s something electrical. I tried two different pumps. One of which I know works because I pulled it off another working 280. Any ideas?

4 minutes ago, moozieman said:

I tried two different pumps.

What does "tried" mean?  Have you verified that you have a good ground at the pump?  You need power and ground to get current to flow through the pump, to make it spin.  Sometimes a tap on the pump body will get it spinning if it has power and ground.

Might help to put a list together and check things off as you test them.  You're kind of jumping around from thing to thing.  Being methodical is important for working on these old cars.