IGNORED

Fuel pump issues!

moozieman

I just bought this new pump and got it installed in my 1977 280z,  but nothing seems to be happening. I don’t even hear it priming. Any suggestions? I even used the multimeter to make sure I was getting power, and I was I indeed. I don’t recall how much power I was getting, but it wasn’t a full 12v. Would that be an issue?

75A92DDA-F4B0-4427-8F36-3811C7F4F4A7.jpeg

FE7F61A1-7D89-4D62-9200-B3EEC003C8C4.png

Edited by moozieman

Make sure the positive and negative are correct and tight.

Also if you are in the car trying to listen for it you might just not be hearing it some are pretty quiet.

I hooked my battery direct to mine to verify

You should be getting very close to full battery power at the pump. Test at the battery to verify it’s voltage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ryanotown22 said:

Make sure the positive and negative are correct and tight.

Also if you are in the car trying to listen for it you might just not be hearing it some are pretty quiet.

I hooked my battery direct to mine to verify

You should be getting very close to full battery power at the pump. Test at the battery to verify it’s voltage.

I did try connecting to the battery, but that was only with some spare speaker wire. I’ll try again with some lower gauge.

I used the same thing a Cliff. Speaker wire and alligator clips when I was troubleshooting my fuel pump problems. It worked fine.
When you said you put 12V on it but it wasn’t a full 12V that’s a bit ambiguous. Probably needs to be pretty close to 12V for it to work. If your pushing 10V it might be a problem.
I agree with Zed Head on making sure it is properly grounded.
When my fuel pump wasn’t working, I was able to narrow it down to the ignition switch. It worked fine when connected directly to 12V but would work when turning the key.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Av8ferg said:

I used the same thing a Cliff. Speaker wire and alligator clips when I was troubleshooting my fuel pump problems. It worked fine.
When you said you put 12V on it but it wasn’t a full 12V that’s a bit ambiguous. Probably needs to be pretty close to 12V for it to work. If your pushing 10V it might be a problem.
I agree with Zed Head on making sure it is properly grounded.
When my fuel pump wasn’t working, I was able to narrow it down to the ignition switch. It worked fine when connected directly to 12V but would work when turning the key.

It’s possible that I just didn’t have solid connections. I just jerryrigged something together real quick. Nothing has a solid connection. I’ll re try.