IGNORED

Steering wheel restoration.

Av8ferg

In 2007 i took an old wheel and pulled the fake wood (resin and wood powder mix) off and made myself a fat mahogany wooden wheel!  It was 38 hours of work.. 8 layers of blank laquer..  and lots of sanding was involved..  came out nice..   (metall in semi gloss black)

There is a ring of 6.5 mm in the wheel..  I made 6 parts on the front hollow and 6 massiv parts at the back, glued the front parts with 2-comp. glue to the metall and the wooden parts with prof. wood glue (water resistant) together..

With a matching gearknob, made on a wood lathe.  joke from myself.. the 10 means 10 years of work on my Z  ?

foto's2007 009.jpg

foto's2007 008.jpg

foto's2007 011.jpg

foto's2007 093.jpg

foto's2007 095.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

Dave,
I agree my 280z steering wheel looks like it was left on Venus for 3 yrs. The rubber looks like it was microwaved. Bumpers...I could live with the 75’ bumpers but in 77 they almost look like clown shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rear bumper is my bar. Holds, so far, 6 empty soilders (Bud Lights) when I mow my yard. Yeah I know 6 is a lot but I have a big yard. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

There is some pretty work in this thread! 

Really the kicker here is that the resin that was used darkens with age.  While it is not too difficult  to get a wheel to look much better, it is another thing entirely to get it to look as it did new.  I have been working on that for quite a while, and I am closing in on it, when I get it completely sorted out, I will put together a full article/video on what I have found out about the wheel, and what I think will put it right.

• Like 2