IGNORED

KONI Sports for Classic Z's

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 5:30 PM, red67 said:

So @madkaw did you get your gland nut issue solved? What springs are you running?

Not really - by  Koni . I resolved it myself . I did some sanding on the welds on the bottom of the strut cartridge so it would drop in further into the strut and I got a few more threads on the nut . I still didn’t make the minimum mm stat. I felt the gland nut was secured enough for me . This was only the fronts . The backs dropped in with no issues
In conclusion I was told that something was odd about my strut housings , though others had the same issue . MSA said they provided all three series of struts . I bet there was more than three versions . They wanted me to try and grind the inside of the strut tubes at the bottom of the strut ? 
I call it BS , but maybe I don’t know what I’m doing 

Edited by madkaw

On 10/15/2020 at 6:08 PM, madkaw said:

Not really - by  Koni . I resolved it myself . I did some sanding on the welds on the bottom of the strut cartridge so it would drop in further into the strut and I got a few more threads on the nut . I still didn’t make the minimum mm stat. I felt the gland nut was secured enough for me . This was only the fronts . The backs dropped in with no issues
In conclusion I was told that something was odd about my strut housings , though others had the same issue . MSA said they provided all three series of struts . I bet there was more than three versions . They wanted me to try and grind the inside of the strut tubes at the bottom of the strut ? 
I call it BS , but maybe I don’t know what I’m doing 

Lee from KONI has been made aware of these things. He is getting caught up (I'll never complain about my flooded inbox again, since he said his had around a thousand messages, sheesh!) and will be coming in soon for the following:

1. He has a simple something-or-other for those who for some reason need a longer adjuster knob. As far as we know, for the many hundreds that have sold so far, only two Z-Cars have had the issue of not being able to reach with the knob for some reason. We honestly don't know why at this time, but hope to research it and find out. Lee was gathering the information he had on his fix, and will share that soon. If anybody else has this issue, please let us know at (800)633-6331 or info@motorsportauto.com.

2. Lee and his engineers are looking at Madkaw's situation. Since that is miles above my pay grade, I'll leave that to Lee and his engineers, and look forward to what they have to say.

He may have some other things to address, but those are the highlights.

As far as what you said Madkaw, yes, we sent them O.E. 240Z, 280Z, and 280ZX strut housings, just to confirm everything. They already had the proper sizing from all the years they did the Reds, and this was just to confirm, which they did.

As far as grinding the inside of the strut tubes, that was a misunderstanding on us. We should have been more clear that we've heard of many struts (and have some here in the building) where there is a hardened gunk buildup at the bottom from years of oil and such. That is often needed to be cleaned out, often by "grinding" with something to break off the gunk. However, grinding of the metal at the bottom of the inside is not something anybody should do and not what we intended to convey. Again, our apologies that we "muddied" that up, pun intended.

Thank you for your patience on this Madkaw.

• Like 1

Here’s my remedy - I don’t recommend this to anyone as a disclaimer . 
You will notice the one pic showing the distinct bulge from the weld bead . The fit is so tight that it makes a difference . I’ve grinded enough welds to feel confident for myself - but won’t tell anyone this is the fix . Even with this “fix” the cartridge still stands tall in the housing . 

130ED20C-ADE3-42F0-A9D6-B09AAD3CBF41.jpeg

4F898A41-1429-4268-8BCF-81C9E86B774F.jpeg