IGNORED

Welding hat not dimming

Patcon

the 2450 is a step down from the 3350, not up. The lens area goes up as the number goes up and the 3350 has the largest viewing area. The price difference between the two wasn't that much and I actually did consider getting the 3350, but I just don't think I would use it enough to justify the additional expense. The 3350 is aimed at people who weld for a living.

I got the 2450 non-digital version. I actually did not want the digital version. Here I am an EE with embedded microprocessor experience and I prefer the non-digital version.  LOL   Ever heard the joke about a room filled with engineers being asked if they would step onto a plane knowing their company wrote the software for it? Anyway, I'm just more comfortable with the older analog style there. If for no other reason.... With the turn of a knob, I can choose shade 9.5 instead of being locked into quantized choices of 9 and 10 with nothing in between.

So to answer some of the questions... As you found, yes, all of them now have replaceable batteries, even the new version of your old 1840. I'm guessing they got too many complaints from people like you who ended up with dead batteries and changed the 1840 to include replaceable.

Yes, the 1840 has two sensors while everything above that has four.

And yes, there is some difference between the shades they can attain. Seems the higher end units (2450 and 3350) can go all the way down to shade 5. I don't really care about that though. If I'm using shade 5, it's because I'm using the oxy-acetylene rig and I don't use a helmet for that. I just use a number 5 full face shield. Not as claustrophobic or prone to lens fogging. So I don't really care about anything less than maybe shade 9 for low amp TIG work.

Lastly the internal vs. external control thing... I'm not positive, but I believe the confusion about the 1840 is that the SHADE control is on the inside, but the GRIND/WELD control is on the outside. So you can switch between weld and grind without taking the helmet off, but if you want to change shades, you still have to take it off to do that. Again, I don't really care much. That feature is aimed at someone who is switching between welding and grinding all day and the seconds add to minutes and minutes matter. If I'm grinding, I'm switching to a cheap full face mask and not risking my new fancy expensive welding helmet with the grinding grit.

19 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

the 2450 is a step down from the 3350, not up. The lens area goes up as the number goes up and the 3350 has the largest viewing area. The price difference between the two wasn't that much and I actually did consider getting the 3350, but I just don't think I would use it enough to justify the additional expense. The 3350 is aimed at people who weld for a living.

I got the 2450 non-digital version. I actually did not want the digital version. Here I am an EE with embedded microprocessor experience and I prefer the non-digital version.  LOL   Ever heard the joke about a room filled with engineers being asked if they would step onto a plane knowing their company wrote the software for it? Anyway, I'm just more comfortable with the older analog style there. If for no other reason.... With the turn of a knob, I can choose shade 9.5 instead of being locked into quantized choices of 9 and 10 with nothing in between.

So to answer some of the questions... As you found, yes, all of them now have replaceable batteries, even the new version of your old 1840. I'm guessing they got too many complaints from people like you who ended up with dead batteries and changed the 1840 to include replaceable.

Yes, the 1840 has two sensors while everything above that has four.

And yes, there is some difference between the shades they can attain. Seems the higher end units (2450 and 3350) can go all the way down to shade 5. I don't really care about that though. If I'm using shade 5, it's because I'm using the oxy-acetylene rig and I don't use a helmet for that. I just use a number 5 full face shield. Not as claustrophobic or prone to lens fogging. So I don't really care about anything less than maybe shade 9 for low amp TIG work.

Lastly the internal vs. external control thing... I'm not positive, but I believe the confusion about the 1840 is that the SHADE control is on the inside, but the GRIND/WELD control is on the outside. So you can switch between weld and grind without taking the helmet off, but if you want to change shades, you still have to take it off to do that. Again, I don't really care much. That feature is aimed at someone who is switching between welding and grinding all day and the seconds add to minutes and minutes matter. If I'm grinding, I'm switching to a cheap full face mask and not risking my new fancy expensive welding helmet with the grinding grit.

I agree with all of that

I really didn't like the idea of digital controls. Analog controls seem more robust in my opinion. That may be unfounded, but it's my perception

I don't grind in my welding mask and when I use the plasma cutter I use a set of #5 glasses. Although using the welding hood might be easier since I need readers all the time now.

My 1840 has the shade control on the outside and when it's turned all the way down it clicks to grind mode

4 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

I have a WHAM30.  Works great.  Pawn shop special. $80.

Fits nice. Good balance. Big view port. Replaceable parts including batteries.

image.png

image.png

Actually made by Pyramex

1/30,000 response time.

Now you're just "muddying the waters"! :facepalm:

2 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Sweet. From what I've read, you won't be disappointed.

And with the temperature at this time of year, I'm sure you'll be trying your new one out before I try mine.

Just had to go a little bigger than mine, huh? Not the first time that's happened to me...   :ph34r:

It's just a little helmet insecurity :blush:

ROFL

Yeah, I am looking forward to seeing if the new screen is vastly improved. My existing hat must be 5-6 years old now and 2 levels lower. So I'm sure the tech's changed some

• 8 months later...

Little update, my new Lincoln 3350 arrived yesterday, I love it.  Big viewing window, much more adjustable headgear, the 4C tech gives some natural colour to objects and everything appears to have more contrast than the old green filter. One of the features I like best is there is a slot on either side of the viewing window that lets you slide a set of cheater magnifier lenses up and down into the position that is best for you to see with.  Cheater lenses are great, I can see the puddle now when tiging.

The helmet comes with a nice storage bag, a total of 6 exterior clear lenses, 3 inner clear lenses and just what I have always wanted; a Chip Foose doo rag, I think I'll use it as oil rag.IMG_0107.JPGIMG_0109.JPGIMG_0108.JPGIMG_0110.JPGIMG_0114.JPGIMG_0117.JPG