IGNORED

Scarab on Bring A Trailer

NVZEE

Interesting that it still has an R180 diff.  Looks like it's seen some speed bumps too.  Crinkly sub-frame rails.  The trans mount seems a bit off.  Even I would have at least rounded the corners.  Edit - in the video the guy says that the owner swapped the 6 speed in.  Probably when the new trans mount was made.  Probably not a Scarab part.  Still a nice looking car though.

image.png

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

59 minutes ago, psdenno said:

This should be fun to watch.  So far, no snarky comments from non-bidding "experts".

Which part do you object to most, the fact that they are making "snarky" comments, the fact that they are not bidding, or the "experts" bit?

Looks to me like even other Scarab owners don't qualify as "Scarab experts", and it's hardly surprising given the nature of the story...  

42 minutes ago, HS30-H said:

Which part do you object to most, the fact that they are making "snarky" comments, the fact that they are not bidding, or the "experts" bit?

Looks to me like even other Scarab owners don't qualify as "Scarab experts", and it's hardly surprising given the nature of the story...  

Perhaps you misread or misinterpreted my comment.  Or, perhaps I misread or misinterpreted your comment.  I don't object to anything on the listing - seller's story or viewer comments.  I just enjoy watching the sale process on BAT and may give it a try with my 914-6.  A friend will be listing his Porsche 912 there shortly and we've been working on his narrative, photos, and video.  Watching the sales of the last several 912s has been a hoot.  He likes the process and the listing help received from the site staff.

Dennis

Love these old hot rod Z cars. American ingenuity at its best dropping a V8 in to a 240Z! Not sure how they drive but there wouldn't be a shortage of power. Like the period marketing materials Scarab produced to sell the car and components, takes some effort to put all that together. Was the original Z designed to take the Nissan Y40 V8 at the time?

2 hours ago, psdenno said:

This should be fun to watch.  So far, no snarky comments from non-bidding "experts".

Dennis

Seems like this sums up the BAT process pretty well, psdenno. Signal-to-noise ratio usually isn’t too bad for a public forum, but there can be those who sidetrack the discussion to debate the minutiae. Likely this one will draw plenty of attention — think I’ll pull up the ol’ armchair!

2 hours ago, SpeedRoo said:

Not sure how they drive but there wouldn't be a shortage of power.

A V8 Z can be a bit nose heavy depending on the engine but with stiffer springs, good shocks and some frame stiffening they handle very well, lots of power for sure but to me a V8 will never sound as good as good as a straight six.

2 hours ago, SpeedRoo said:

Was the original Z designed to take the Nissan Y40 V8 at the time?

That's a big can of worms, guys have been arguing about that for a long time.

7 hours ago, NVZEE said:

Seems like this sums up the BAT process pretty well, psdenno. Signal-to-noise ratio usually isn’t too bad for a public forum, but there can be those who sidetrack the discussion to debate the minutiae. Likely this one will draw plenty of attention — think I’ll pull up the ol’ armchair!

What harm? I'd rather have that than the flood of "My cousin's friend's tap-dancing teacher used to have one of those, GLWS!" type comments.

If anything grates it's the people who seem to regard themselves as high roller 'collectors', adding to their "portfolio" (pfft) and talking about 'Pebble' when it's likely their collection is more of a box-ticking exercise of third rate 'cool investment' pension fund hardware, hardly touched by anybody except the local handyman and destined to be liquidated as also-ran lots in an auction where Wayne Carini is selling a Fiat Jolly. I get the feeling these people are money men rather than car guys.   

• Like 1