IGNORED

Interesting read

Jeff Berk

This just popped up on my news feed from Jalopnik

https://jalopnik.com/what-a-lifelong-z-mechanic-thinks-of-nissan-today-1830083808

It's nice to see that places are still out there that specializes in Z's. No bad there's no place like that in NE Ohio.

Great discussion of the history of sports cars at Nissan.

Edited by Jeff Berk
  • Like 2

Very interesting take and right on as far as I'm concerned. Bob Sharp has voiced this opinion for many years and was shocked to learn that the 370 is actually slower than the 350Z.

Just a minor correction: That's a 260 or 280 IMSA GTU race car not a '72.

On 12/7/2018 at 9:02 PM, gnosez said:

Very interesting take and right on as far as I'm concerned. Bob Sharp has voiced this opinion for many years and was shocked to learn that the 370 is actually slower than the 350Z.

Just a minor correction: That's a 260 or 280 IMSA GTU race car not a '72.

That is the 1972 OMS Pace Car...  http://zhome.com/Racing/PaceCars.htm   They changed the tail lights to make it look like a more current model - to get additional Nissan rewards..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mike B said:

@Carl Beck  On your Zhome pacecars page you linked to above you indicated you only have the one color photo of the 1973 Datsun 240Z USAC Official Pace / Safety Car.  I think I have another from an old ebay ad several years ago.

Ah GREAT - thanks Mike. Funny thing, Gary Savage sent in a picture of the 1972 OMS Pace Car at OMS back in 1999. Finally got to meet Gary in person this year at Jim's ZMECCA Christmas Party. So when are we going to get you back down here to Florida?

7 hours ago, Mike B said:

On your Zhome pacecars page you linked to above you indicated you only have the one color photo of the 1973 Datsun 240Z USAC Official Pace / Safety Car.  I think I have another from an old ebay ad several years ago.

Nice duct tape job on the front spoiler. ?

3 hours ago, Carl Beck said:

Ah GREAT - thanks Mike. Funny thing, Gary Savage sent in a picture of the 1972 OMS Pace Car at OMS back in 1999. Finally got to meet Gary in person this year at Jim's ZMECCA Christmas Party. So when are we going to get you back down here to Florida?

Yeah, I saw some photo's of this year's party on facebook.   Looked like a great time.  Tell Jim to invite me next year and I might come down.  I still have family in the Tampa area.  Here are another couple of OMS pace car mentions from old issues of Datsun News.

20181201_113111.jpg

20181201_112350.jpg

Carl - so they made the same changes that other teams did by cutting out the rear taillight panel of an already equipped 240 and installing later 280 versions. I'm thinking of doing the same thing over the winter by including 280 valances and the BSR chin spoiler.

Here's a few pages from my archives, a purchase order and an R200 diff calculation sheet for the Camel GT Pace car. I don't have access to a scanner right now but will get some other pages done in the coming weeks.

CamelPace.jpg

CamelPace2.jpg