IGNORED

Finally Got My Garage Mahal!!!

Marty Rogan

Patcon,

I used a mechanical preparation of the slab and not an acid etch.  The installers sanded the slab.  I'm not a believer of acid etching the slab.  They also sanded the base coat.  That was a lot of labor cost going in.

3 hours ago, 26th-Z said:

Patcon,

I used a mechanical preparation of the slab and not an acid etch.  The installers sanded the slab.  I'm not a believer of acid etching the slab.  They also sanded the base coat.  That was a lot of labor cost going in.

Why do you not like acid etch?

On 7/18/2020 at 11:17 AM, 26th-Z said:

Yes, it is slippery - in bare feet.  Just like the terrazzo floors I have in the house.  But the floor doesn't really get wet and with shoes on, it isn't a problem.

Years ago, when they epoxied our 100,000 ft^2 shop floor at work (Roush Racing), they put down 3 or 4 small sample areas so we could determine how much grit we needed.  The ones with no grit added were down right dangerous when motor oil or gear oil was present.  Needless to say, they went with enough grit to make it safe.

Edited by Jeff G 78
typo
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, I retired last month, so I finally had some time to build a work bench.  I found a decent steel top, that was 8' x 3", which I ended up getting for free.  Used 4"x4"'s for the uprights and 2"x4"s to tie it all together.  Used 3/4" plywood for the shelf.  I made the bench extra high so that I don't have to bend over to work on stuff.  Also put it on casters so that I could keep flexibility in the shop configuration.

I also picked up a really nice tire rack, so I don't have stacks of tires all over the place anymore.

I will be getting the heater put in in the next few weeks. The lift is planned for the spring.

That will about take care of building the shop.  Now I need to find a new car project to work on!!!

Workbench.jpg

Workbench top.jpg

Empty tire rack.jpg

Tires on rack.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

After multiple delays, the barn finally has heat!!!!  I had a 150K BTU Modene heater installed in the corner.  That should be plenty to make it toasty in there this winter.  Now I can actually work on a car in the winter, vs just planning for work to be done in the spring.

Next on the list is a 2 post lift.  Has anybody heard anything good or bad about Olympic lifts??  I had not heard of them before.  They have supposedly been around for 40 years.  I saw a recent sale add that had some pretty good pricing.

What kind of lift do you guys have?

Barn Heater close up.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/21/2020 at 3:03 PM, Marty Rogan said:

I have a 4 post drive on lift, mostly because it was a screamin’ deal, a friend bought one and they shipped the wrong one, so I got it for cost. It has served me well, and has some wheel devices that can be attached to move it if I wish. They have come in handy as I have rearranged my layout a couple of times. It also has two jacks on trolleys for doing wheel end work.

I still want to add a two post lift, as there are things that cannot be done on a 4 post lift, but I will be retiring next year, and we plan to sell and move, so that will wait until after the move.

On 10/22/2020 at 12:03 AM, Marty Rogan said:

I've got a 4 post lift, an overhauld one from a spanish brand Istobal..  3 or 3,5 tons.  I prefer a 4 post because it's better for the older cars..  you don't break those flooredges..  

14 hours ago, Racer X said:

I still want to add a two post lift, as there are things that cannot be done on a 4 post lift

I can't think of things i could not do on a 4 post? tell us what it is please..  ( working on an axle you can put that axle on a stand and the lift becomes a workbench for al your tools i would realy miss that with a 2 post lift..  also a 4 post is MUCH more stable!)

My 4 post is most of the time a place to store my other car! Now i drive the car that is under it and comes summer/winter i change then!  (summer car on summer and winter car on winter tires!)

Also, if your a bike guy (like me)  you can put a bike on a 4 post... on a 2 post.. not so easy.. :pow:

Edited by dutchzcarguy
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Racer X said:

I have a 4 post drive on lift, mostly because it was a screamin’ deal, a friend bought one and they shipped the wrong one, so I got it for cost. It has served me well, and has some wheel devices that can be attached to move it if I wish. They have come in handy as I have rearranged my layout a couple of times. It also has two jacks on trolleys for doing wheel end work.

I still want to add a two post lift, as there are things that cannot be done on a 4 post lift, but I will be retiring next year, and we plan to sell and move, so that will wait until after the move.

What brand is your lift, and do you like it?

2 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

I've got a 4 post lift, an overhauld one from a spanish brand Istobal..  3 or 3,5 tons.  I prefer a 4 post because it's better for the older cars..  you don't break those flooredges..  

I can't think of things i could not do on a 4 post? tell us what it is please..  ( working on an axle you can put that axle on a stand and the lift becomes a workbench for al your tools i would realy miss that with a 2 post lift..  also a 4 post is MUCH more stable!)

My 4 post is most of the time a place to store my other car! Now i drive the car that is under it and comes summer/winter i change then!  (summer car on summer and winter car on winter tires!)

Also, if your a bike guy (like me)  you can put a bike on a 4 post... on a 2 post.. not so easy.. :pow:

I would think taking out a trans would be more difficult on  a 4 poster.  

I have a race car that I am constantly doing brake work on.  That would be easier on a 2 poster.  Also, If I needed to drop the engine from underneath, that would be impossible with a 4 poster.

Luckily, space is not a problem for me at this point, so I won't need it for storage.

I think your already going  (in your mind) for a 2 post..   I'll prefer the 4 post any time..  did a  motor and gearbox removal.. they go from the top in datsuns and nissans.. as far i know..   and working on brakes a problem? I have none..  

4post..

1 very stable, most can handle more weight also.

2 Much safer (ever seen one falling of a 4 post?)

3 extra parking spot (for future people who are looking for a lift)

4 You can also use it to work on other things like a bike or motorbike or lawnmower?

5 When working on brakes or the axle you have your working bench under it for the tools! (axle is in the air on a stand in the middle.)

6 changing cars on and of go's much faster than with a 2 post.

7 you get no damn dents in your car like a 2 post often does!

8  make an  extra storage..  ( i have a side and behind attick in my garage resting on 3 of the 4 posts so it supports my extra (attick)space also!)

GO BUY A 2 POST!  :Bazinga: just kidding,  but seriously i would not trade my 4 post for 2 new 2 post lifts..   But thats only my opinion..  😁

3 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

I would use a bike lift for bikes, much easier to securely and safely raise a bike for repairs and maintenance.

Using a drive on 4 post lift for engine swaps can be done, but not as easily as with a 2 post lift. The ramps and structures of the 4 post get in the way of the cherry picker.

As I mentioned, my 4 post lift has trolleys with jacks, so a car can be raised, the wheels removed, then the lift can be raised so wheel end work can be done while standing up.

I have a transmission jack, so I can remove and replace transmissions, and do clutch work on the 4 post lift.

I do all my lube/oil/filter work on the 4 post lift too. 

The lift also enables me to store a car, or one of my tractors and park another vehicle below it.

But the 4 post lift isn’t big enough to lift my Dodge Ram 3500 dually, or my F150 Eddie Bauer, so when I do add a 2 post lift, it will be large enough for them.

2 hours ago, Marty Rogan said:

What brand is your lift, and do you like it?

I think it is a BendPak, but it isn’t branded, I’ll check when I get home today.

And I like it a lot, save for the limitations mentioned earlier.