IGNORED

Lightweight Flywheels

spiderpig55

New here, so if I'm in the wrong place, don't be shy you can tell me where to go.

I've seen this talked about in bits and pieces all over the place, but still haven't really got the answer I'm looking for. I have a 75' 280z (on jack stands for the last few years). It's a 4 speed car. I have the 5 speed and the 3.90R200 to put into it, and when I do (soon. i'm trying to rekindle this project), I would like to install a lightweight flywheel and of course new clutch. I don't want to go too light. If I recall, the stock weight is 22-23lbs. What I see all over ebay is the Fidanza packaged up with the Exedy clutch. Seems like a good package but that flywheel only weighs 10.7lbs. This is not going to be a race car, it's a fun street car. At half the weight I'm worried it wont be practical for commuting. Am I over thinking this or should I just go for it? Is there something in-between I should be looking at? I don't really have a machinist (that I trust) local to lighten my stock flywheel. Anyway, I just wanted to know if there are any other (reasonably priced) options out there or if the Fidanza is the just the way to go.

I got lucky and bought a 240 project car with a Tilton flywheel. 10#s I think.

On my 2.4 it's a fantastic add on or off?. 

They are different for sure but once I get out of my  driveway then neighborhood it's fun arse hell. It spins up like a motorcycle and I quit riding bikes when I found the Zs again.

In my opinion a lightened OE would be nice but if you can't do that aluminum. Of all the things I've done and spent lots of money on the light flywheel is the best bang for the buck.

I run the basic Exedy 6009 too, thanks to @LeonV. It works great with my set up.

You'll shift a lot but with a nice exhaust sound it's great.

EDIT: My Z is driven for fun on the weekends. If it's your main car in heavy traffic I'd send it off and get it to 15lbs. or more/less.

They'll be more recommendations I'm sure, my expirences only. 

Edited by siteunseen

I think your gear change is what will be the most effective in transforming acceleration in general. 

Theres a guy on Hybridz that sells an adapter ring to mount a 350z flywheel. The stock ones are Chrome Molly and come in at 16lbs I believe . It’s a 250mm surface so that’s an improvement also. I think it’s Godzilla Raceworks . The flywheel has the correct bolt pattern and the adapter is nothing more than a shim. 

I believe the 350z flywheels are reasonably priced 

I run a lightened 240mm flywheel, but not many places do that service anymore 

• Like 1

I hope you're right madkaw, on the gear change. I just figured while I was in there, might as well squeeze out as much as possible ya know.

Fantastic tip on checking out Godzilla Raceworks. (thanks a lot, i'm trying to stay focused hear and you send me to that candy store!) Anyway, they have a 13lb flywheel off RB26 with the adapter spacer (out of stock for now). I didn't find the 16lbs flywheel yet but I'm sure it's out there. Either way, this range 13-16 is feeling a little more in my comfort zone.

Look's like there is a link on Godzilla's website to the article on HybridZ for more information about using that spacer. I'll have to give that a read.

I contacted Godzilla Raceworks about an ETA on availability of the spacers, he said hopefully in about 6 weeks.

Found an XTR flywheel on ebay (Manufacture part# X51108SFX-HTX), the description claims it's 15lbs.

I think this is probably the direction I'm going to move towards. I wish I had the exact dimensions and material used for the spacer/adapter, I could probably have one made locally. I haven't decided on a clutch just yet, but he claims that any clutch from a Z, 70 to current, will bolt on the RB26 flywheel. So the possibilities are pretty much endless there. I'll let you know if I dig anything else up.

• 2 weeks later...

1EB85266-69B5-4C95-829E-91574A15FEF0-5890-000003A5B298AEB8.jpeg

FIdanza 143281 flywheel fits all L6 and has bolt patterns to attach both the 225 and 240mm clutches. 10 lbs ish. Replacable friction surface.

I even put one on my LZ 2,4L 510 motor!  Zoom zoom 

Edited by zKars
  • Like 1

When I get ready to swap my ‘75 280Z’s existing trans/diff to the close-ratio 5-speed and 3.90 R200 that are sitting in my garage, I think I’ll give this outfit a shout about lightening my stock flywheel.  

https://www.racetep.com/engine-building/flywheel-lightening.html

$269 + shipping.  I’m not sure if this is market price, so I’ll also look around for shops that might provide better pricing.

First off, thanks for everyone's input, it all helps. Now to catch up to where I'm at now....

I did order the XTR flywheel from ebay (claimed to be 15lbs.), very nice quality piece. I also ordered an Exedy clutch kit (again from ebay) for the 75-83z 2+2 non turbo, 240mm contact surface. I received both and, the clutch/pressure plate fit perfectly on the RB26 flywheel. But while I was fondling the beautiful flywheel.....feels a little light to me. And it is, weighing in at 9.5-9-6lbs. That's even lighter than the 11lb. Fadenza I wasn't comfortable going with in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I know some of you have been running 10-11lbs. for years and seem to love them. I just felt better at 15lbs, so that's the way I went (or tried to go).

Have been in contact with Godzilla Raceworks and he informed me that the spacers for the RB26 flywheels are coming in a little sooner then he expected, like only a week or so out. And he sells the spacer with a 13lb RB26 Chrome-Molybdenum Steel flywheel for $200 (don't quote me on price, just check out the website). So, I'm trying to return the XTR that I got (i know i'm probably being a jackass and overthinking this) and go with the spacer/flywheel kit from Godzilla.

How ever you look at it, I really don't think you can put a lightweight flywheel in an S30 for less than $200. (ok, the xtr i got from ebay was like $165, but you still need the spacer from Godzilla (40)to make it work so i figure might as well just place one order).

• Like 2