IGNORED

Head gasket engine block surface prep

fairladyz432

I need some help figuring out whether or not my engine block is cleaned enough for the head to be reinstalled back on the engine block. I tried pretty much what i can to prep the surface of the engine block and just need some help with those who already went through this install. So far i got most of the old gasket gunk off but there are some spots here and there that still remain. I have some acetone ready to use in hopes of removing some of the left over material. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. 

engine1.jpg

engine2.jpg

engine3.jpg

Yes, acetone with one of those green scotch-brite sponges.  Put paper towels in the cylinders so that you won't spill acetone down into the cylinders.  Use a Permatex gasket sealant like their copper gasket spray.  Get the two surfaces as clean as you can.

• Like 1

Remember to chase all of the bolt holes and clean them thoroughly. 

You can do it in these steps:

1. Pour solvent in each bolt hole then use a wire gun barrel brush or similar.

2. Run bottoming tap to chase threads

3. Brake cleaner sprayed into the bottom of the bolt hole with a shop rag muffling the top of the hole.

After that, wire brush the head bolt threads, oil them, then test in each hole. Be sure to oil the washers too.

Ok great responses, i did run a razor over the spots and did not catch  so it looks like it is discoloration. I also used a thread chaser to clean out the threads and went in and out smoothly with out any issues (might run it through a second time just to be safe). I recently got my head rebuilt so it is for sure flat according to the machine shop. As for the engine block i didn't check for flatness since it ran pretty good prior to the head rebuild and i just cleaned off the old gunk with a 3m white bristle roloc disc lightly. Ill update this thread as i go but looks like a promising step forward to getting it all assembled back again. 

Is it recommended you spray copper gasket onto the oem headgasket before installing? some sources say its not necessary but i guess it wouldn't hurt to have extra sealing. 

Edited by fairladyz432