IGNORED

Vibration dampener thingy

It would be interesting to know why its there. My 77 doesn't have it and never did. I know another owner that does not have it either. So if it was there for noise deadening, or what ever reason, then shouldn't it have been on every 77? Assuming it's from your 77 280. I don't recall seeing it in the FSM either. I'll have to look for it when I get home.

Edited by rcb280z

It's a " Mass damper " . I believe Nissan used it to combat a noise issue from the diff of the R200's. Some of the gear whine or singing which seems to be fairly common on the R200.  There may be TSB on it... 

Edited by Chickenman

These dampers get added when a manufacturer discovers an unwanted truth about their drivetrain after it's too late to come up with a more elegant solution.  And you know how car companies hate adding invisible items to a vehicle that don't add to the profit margin, so there has to be a substantial problem before they'll add something like this.  When I worked with a manufacturer (who shall remain nameless) on the public launch of one of their prestige-class models ten years ago, I found a very similar device attached to the rear diff casing on the versions with the optional AWD powertrain.  And this was well into the era of CAE, FEA and computer-driven lab-baseddrivetrain testing.  I expect that the usual issue is a buzz or drone at a key highway cruising speed.  An 'enthusiast' owner, of course, may never notice the issue.

Yep, mine had one.  But once it was off it never went back on and since I don't track my car, I haven't noticed any difference in noise or performance.  Maybe my hearing or expanded waistline has something to do with it??

• Haha 1

On 7/22/2018 at 7:02 AM, rcb280z said:

It would be interesting to know why its there. My 77 doesn't have it and never did.

It probably had it at one time.  What's surprising is that Nissan didn't at least polish them up after their introduction.  1978 is just as ugly as my 1976.  

They make a good portable shop anvil.

Your link didn't come through.  Here it is...