IGNORED

We're bringin' back the Flat Tops!

motorman7

7 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Glad to help. Here's some pics. This is all the parts for the power valve:
P1150494.JPG

And here's a close-up of the washers in question:
P1150500.JPG

Here's the parts assembled on the sealing bolt sans diaphragm. The diaphragm goes between the two large washers:
P1150501.JPG

Good luck!!

That's awesome. I'm in Vegas for work this week, but will start soaking mine when I get back this weekend. thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Today on the Facebook S30 group page is a post from an Australian titled "Flat Tops FTW ?".  The post was just a video of a walk around of a smoothly running right hand drive  240/260Z with the Flat tops shown at the end of the video.  Looks like they are getting some international love.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/480008718866422/permalink/1132514976949123/

On 8/7/2019 at 12:21 PM, Captain Obvious said:

Glad to help. Here's some pics. This is all the parts for the power valve:
P1150494.JPG

And here's a close-up of the washers in question:
P1150500.JPG

Here's the parts assembled on the sealing bolt sans diaphragm. The diaphragm goes between the two large washers:
P1150501.JPG

Good luck!!

I had some family things going on that kept me from getting back to this right away, but I've tried soaking mine and I don't think mine actually come apart. The way they go together is quite different from yours in the pics above. Mine don't have a bolt through the center holding it together. I've added a few pics of mine. Do I have a different model of some type?

IMG_20190824_134952.jpg

IMG_20190824_134902.jpg

IMG_20190824_134628.jpg

IMG_20190824_134618.jpg

IMG_20190824_134648.jpg

I think I see the divot from the original lock washer dug out of the one washer. Something has to go through the middle. I'm thinking you misplaced some parts?

BTW, that float valve does not have anything to do with the power valve, right? It's only in those pics to show scale size or something?

• 4 weeks later...

Had the pleasure of meeting jayhawk today at the JCCS and saw the finished Z car.... motorman7 did an incredible job restoring this vehicle. This car was hands down the best OE restoration vehicle at the entire show. Every detail was nailed spot on! Here's a few pics that don't even come close to doing justice to this incredible restoration. If any forum members get a chance to see this car in person you are in for a real treat. This is a museum quality vehicle. Kudos to you both and to your body/paint guy.... amazing work!

IMG_5281.JPG

IMG_5282.JPG

IMG_5283.JPG

IMG_5284.JPG

IMG_5285.JPG

IMG_5286.JPG

• Like 3

Thanks @mbz !  It really was a fun show and the car got lots of attention.  Amazing how many cars there were (over 500) and the crowds that came out to the show.

On 9/22/2019 at 3:51 AM, 240260280 said:

It just needs the papers in the window!

It has papers in the window...the original dealer sticker is posted on the passenger side ☺️.  I don't think any other vehicle at the show had that.

On 9/22/2019 at 6:59 AM, w3wilkes said:

Jaw dropping fantastic! It's been almost 30 years since I had my 73, but I don't remember this smallish tube that I've marked in red. What is it?

That is a small metal vacuum tube that goes to the EGR valve solenoid.  It's a bit kinked, but still functional.

Also, we got the judging sheets back. (Note: car is actually a 1973 and not a 1971, wonder which judge wrote that down)  I think we did fairly well in spite of the mad scrambling the last couple weeks to get everything ready for the show.  We were marked off 3 points for dirt behind the seats.  Will have to pay better attention to that next time. Seems like a lot of points off just for dirt, but oh well.

I was surprised the we were marked off for the bead blast finish on the valve cover and intake manifold.  I thought that looked pretty close to stock that way, but apparently not.  I wonder if all judges would mark that off or if it was just this judge.  Personally, I thought the flat tops were too shiny and we would get dinged for that. We were also missing a few small vacuum tube clamps.   That has since been corrected along with the kinked hose that has now been replaced with the correct hose (Thanks @Zup ).

Most of the other items I was aware of and was surprised that we did not get marked off for some other items I knew about, like the rear carpet plastic trim finisher which was installed backwards or luggage straps that were installed with hex bolts among other things.  These have since been corrected now that we have time, but I would have marked me off for those things.  Guess that makes up for the 3 point dirt deduction.

Anyway, the shows have been great fun.  Car is now on it's way up to it's new home in the Bay area with @jayhawk .  

judge1.JPG

Judge2.JPG

Judge3.JPG

• Like 4

On 9/21/2019 at 8:14 PM, mbz said:

Had the pleasure of meeting jayhawk today at the JCCS and saw the finished Z car.... motorman7 did an incredible job restoring this vehicle. This car was hands down the best OE restoration vehicle at the entire show. Every detail was nailed spot on! Here's a few pics that don't even come close to doing justice to this incredible restoration. If any forum members get a chance to see this car in person you are in for a real treat. This is a museum quality vehicle. Kudos to you both and to your body/paint guy.... amazing work!

MBZ, thanks for stopping by and the kind words.  Motorman7 and Miguel have done magic with my Z and when I get in it, I feel like I'm 24 years old again.  (my age when I bought that Z in '73.  Hope that doesn't make me "museum quality")  ?  

• Like 1

Now the Z is back home in N. California.  I'll be driving it to local shows for the next year or two.  I'll be at the Neillo Concours Serano at the El Dorado Hills country club in Sacramento on Sunday, Oct 6th.  It seems to me that these concours events value originality and authenticity more than the japanese car events.  But most concours events seem to be more focused on old European and American iron.  I'm just going to see if I can get my Datsun up close to some antique Rolls.  Bet I get bigger crowds!

Finally home. Need to get a anti door ding barrier built, and some netting for the shelves to protect against the next quake...

image.png

• Like 3