IGNORED

New 280z "Hawk" - wish me luck.

smackhq

12 hours ago, wheee! said:

Mine cleaned up real nice with CLR, worked great afterwards too. Full sweep and resistance checks out on the ohmmeter

13.jpg

12.jpg

14.JPG

15.JPG

Man that made a huge difference. I picked some up tonight and the unit is soaking as of now. Thanks!

Tomorrow I might try cleaning tank with the white vinegar. 

I did the marine clean and POR for my tank as well. I also had to soak the tank in acetone to break up the varnish inside, followed by pressure washing, followed by more marine clean before sealing. My thread has all the details.

2 hours ago, wheee! said:

I did the marine clean and POR for my tank as well. I also had to soak the tank in acetone to break up the varnish inside, followed by pressure washing, followed by more marine clean before sealing. My thread has all the details.

On the tank sealing, isnt there a pickup screen inside and tubes I have to be concerned about plugging and if so how did you guys deal with that?

Thx

I blew out all my vent and feed lines etc with an air hose after sealing the tank. All the lines seem to be flowing properly and no noticeable restrictions. YMMV but it is worth the risk to get a good sealed tank that will last another 40 years...

11 hours ago, smackhq said:

On the tank sealing, isnt there a pickup screen inside and tubes I have to be concerned about plugging and if so how did you guys deal with that?

Thx

The screen is in the inlet of the fuel pump . No screens in the tank I am aware of.

31 minutes ago, wheee! said:

Nice save!

Thanks. Probably should do my part and measure the unit to make sure it's working. ?

I'd like to move on the tank but I'll admit here that I'm getting conflicting opinions on what to do. Cleaning is fairly easy straightforward part but sealing it is another. Some on here are saying to seal it with (fill in blank product) but I have Oliver from Zspecialties saying do no seal the tanks as they will plug up the tubes. He gave up sealing them due to this. He mentioned a screen in tank, which is why I asked about it. 

I've done two and blown the lines with air compressor, taped them off beforehand though.  Worked great.  280 and a 240 tank.  It's really easy if you have a good plan and don't have to wait too much in between steps.

I can give you my tips on cleaning and sealing.  I have a thread floating around that 'splains my method.  It's not as bad as you think.

Generally, the sealing process is meant for tanks with pin holes.  Areas that leak.  If there are no leaking areas and the metal is solid, then rust removal is probably good enough. That's the basics of it, I think.  The sealing process has its own risks.

One way to think about a decision.