IGNORED

SS Bumpers from Vietnam

Amazingly, there is a chrome shop 6 miles away from me in Lincoln,  Whitworx Fine Metal Finishing.  Been in business for 40 years.  Around $1000 for both bumpers.

Zup had his 240 bumpers done there 3 years ago,  look great & he has been happy with them.

The price make those reproductions look very attractive though.

On 5/23/2018 at 2:38 PM, JSM said:

At least you have options.  I called several places today for fun in FL and all closed.  The shops open, didn't do chroming and said call the place I already had.  The few folks I talked to said they were the best to go to, but also the most expensive.

It was interesting when I called the first shop.  She said, most have gone out of business due to a lack of demand, EPA regulations and lack of youth willing to learn the trade.  She said almost all of her employees are in their 50's.

SPACE COAST PLATING Melbourne Florida. They did pretty good work on my bumpers 15 years ago and the finish is still quality.

1 hour ago, esmit208 said:

SPACE COAST PLATING Melbourne Florida. They did pretty good work on my bumpers 15 years ago and the finish is still quality.

Yep, they seem to be the only ones around.  $$$ was the only issue in my mind.

This made me go dig up my invoice from Queen City Plating. Last year they did both of my bumpers that does not have any holes and were already straight requiring no repairs.

This shops work can often be found at Pebble Beach.

I understood I would be paying for the work quality.

They are still in business but you could not turn in work now and expect it back before September.

I can recommend them without hesitation.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

IMG_5097.JPG.8c24fba82eafa99bd0ac6bce653b56bd.JPGIMG_5099.JPG.e25c909e5a1b1162de1d06cf658bb686.JPGIMG_5103.JPG.cf0e703ed709e03e9a82a7698a59033c.JPGIMG_5098.JPG.176a2bfae9d4455f87f48d9f65800e32.JPG

IMG_5840.JPG

I seem to recall one of the aftermarket rear bumpers had an issue where some said the arc of the center section did not have

enough curvature and came too close or hit the rear body valence. That was supposed to be retooled and corrected.

I don't see anyone mention that now though.

8 hours ago, Lumens said:

I seem to recall one of the aftermarket rear bumpers had an issue where some said the arc of the center section did not have

enough curvature and came too close or hit the rear body valence. That was supposed to be retooled and corrected.

I don't see anyone mention that now though.

I had previously purchased a rear bumper from Futofab as @grannyknot mentions.  It had two fitment problems - the arc of the center section was too shallow and hit the body and the mounting point on the right side did not line up with the hole in the body.  I contacted Dave Patton and he asked me to shoot a set of measurements of the arc across the rear panel and my OE bumper (now painted).  I returned the bumper and Dave gave me a full refund, including shipping.  He also took measurements of early cars available to him and fed the info back to mfrs.  He initially expected the revised bumper to be available last fall and later by the first of this year.  That has not happened and Dave told me to keep checking his site as it shows the bumpers to be on backorder, arrival TBD.   The folks in Vietnam say they have quick delivery (~10 days) so I'll probably pull the trigger on one of theirs.  I'll share results when I get the unit.

4 hours ago, jfa.series1 said:

I had previously purchased a rear bumper from Futofab as @grannyknot mentions.  It had two fitment problems - the arc of the center section was too shallow and hit the body and the mounting point on the right side did not line up with the hole in the body.  I contacted Dave Patton and he asked me to shoot a set of measurements of the arc across the rear panel and my OE bumper (now painted).  I returned the bumper and Dave gave me a full refund, including shipping.  He also took measurements of early cars available to him and fed the info back to mfrs.  He initially expected the revised bumper to be available last fall and later by the first of this year.  That has not happened and Dave told me to keep checking his site as it shows the bumpers to be on backorder, arrival TBD.   The folks in Vietnam say they have quick delivery (~10 days) so I'll probably pull the trigger on one of theirs.  I'll share results when I get the unit.

Jim,

It's a shame the quality control hasn't ironed out all the problems before they started marketing them. Fuotfab was/is a good alternative. The harringtons are very good, but pricy.

I will watch your progress with the vietnam bumpers with much interest.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:11 PM, Travel'n Man said:

Try Tri County Plating in Elizabethton Tenn. Superior Job

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Thanks I called today. Front is $400, rear is $450.  Bumperettes are $75 each.  With shipping to and from it may be easier to stay local.

I did see the local places (Space Coast Platting) work today from a Datsun Roadster enthusiast.  It was very nice quality.   I just may wait to do any small stuff as shipping it would be cheaper.