IGNORED

Engine won't start

MinimumSafe

4 hours ago, kully 560 said:

just something else to check look at the fuel filter mine had varnish in it after sitting for the winter 1 time and I changed it and it started and ran fine after that . on my 260z it is located back by the gas tank next to the fuel pump.

On the '71 mentioned in first post, the mechanical pump is engine mounted and the fuel filter is attached on the passenger side in the engine compartment.

Dennis

17 hours ago, MinimumSafe said:

Thank you everyone! I took off the filter and tried to spray starting fluid inside the carbs. Started for a bit and made a popping sound, little smoke came out the carbs and stopped. 

Is this a fuel problem?

Yes.If the car fires up when using starter fluid, you have a fuel problem and the ignition is at least good enough to get it started.

Fuel + Spark + Compression = Fun.

For the spark, harbor freight sells this inline spark plug light, Should be pretty cheap, can throw it onto cylinder 1 to ensure that its firing.

Fuel can be added into the float chambers, is it possible that the line is clogged? you can attach the line from the mechanical pump into a gas jug, to test if that section is working.

Compression, would probably be best to use a leak down tester, and if not a compression tester. (but you can rule this out if it was running)

TBH sounds like old fuel, Did you ever take anything apart? :ermm:

18 hours ago, MinimumSafe said:

Thank you everyone! I took off the filter and tried to spray starting fluid inside the carbs. Started for a bit and made a popping sound, little smoke came out the carbs and stopped. 

Is this a fuel problem?

Spray more fluid.  Start if a few more times. Get some fuel flowing.

On 4/28/2018 at 5:25 PM, psdenno said:

ç≈

There is NO "quick 101", it's a live and learn world with Zs.  Fuel+spark+air=combustion and if the starter is cranking with those factors in place, it should be good to go in most cases.  Also, check under the distributor cap to make sure the rotor is there and that everything else looks as it should.

Thanks for your service from this retired veteran

Dennis

You as well, sir! Semper Fi.

Step A.

1. Pour gas into bowls through vent holes.  Don't worry if you spill some.

2. Start the car.

Hopefully it will run long enough to prime the pump

Step B.

If it only runs until the fuel in the bowl is consumed, then your problem is upstream of the carbs and bowls

1.  Get a can of fuel and put it next to the front passenger wheel.

2.  Run a fuel hose from the can to the bottom of the fuel filter.

3.  Repeat Step A.

Step C.

If  the car does not run off the fuel in the can then your problem is the fuel pump or fuel filter, or fuel rail.

If the car runs from the fuel can in step B then your problem is upstream from the pump & filter.

1.  Move the fuel can to the back of the car next to the passenger wheel.

2. Connect a hose from the fuel can to the larger hard line where it starts just in front of the fuel tank.

3. Repeat Step A.

Step D.

If  the car does not run off the fuel in the can then your problem is the fuel line from the back of the car to the front.

If the car runs from the fuel can in step B then your problem is the tank or hose to the tank.

Edited by 240260280
  • Like 3

Sounds like your timing might be off.  Maybe the vacuum advance got stuck advanced, for example.  If you're a novice it might kind of difficult to figure out.  You can take the distributor cap off and move the breaker plate by hand.  IT should move a few degrees toward the vacuum canister then spring back.  You can approximate your timing by putting the damper pulley mark on about 10 degrees and seeing if the points are about to open or just opening.  Stuff like that.  You can figure out a lot just by looking if you know what you're looking at.

There's not much to go on in your video.  I wouldn't even say that it started.  I just heard a crank and a muffled pop.

So I poured some fuel into the bowls to prime the pump per 240260280's suggestion and it turns over now!

However, the exhaust keeps making a firing/popping sound when I drive and the car jerks a lot. The car doesn't seem to want to go over 20mph either, it tops out and jerks .... I have only tested it around my neighborhood.