IGNORED

Engine won't start

MinimumSafe

Hi guys! I have an issue I was wondering yall could help me out with. I recently bought a 1971 240z in pretty great condition. Everything ran well when I got it, and the owner showed me the paperwork of all the work he's done. From what I know and how it looks, it's pretty solid.

I left for the military, and came back, and now it wouldnt start. It cranks over a bit like how a weak battery tries to start, so I went out and got a new battery. It cranks harder, but it still won't go. I am a straight up novice with this vehicle, so any help would be appreciated. From what I know you need air, spark, and fuel?

A buddy of mine tried to start the car while I was away by pulling the choke all the way back, pumped the gas several times, and turned it over. I was wondering if this might be the cause? I'm on leave right now so if I can get it to turn over and drive it for a bit...that would make my day. 

Thanks

Edited by MinimumSafe

How long were you away with the military - a month, three months, four years? 

How clean & tight are the connections on both ends of your battery cables?

Are you getting fuel flow at the carbs?

Power to the spark plugs?

Dennis

Edited by psdenno

If you shoot a little starting fluid into each carb throat, will it fire over? It may be the fuel evaporated out of the carbs. It is hard to prime the fuel lines with the starter. Easier if the car fires over a couple of times...

ç≈

14 minutes ago, MinimumSafe said:

I was on the east coast for around 5 months!

I cleaned the battery cables pretty good, so that shouldn't be a problem I don't think. 

Fuel flow at the carbs and spark plugs.. I'm an idiot. Any quick 101?

There is NO "quick 101", it's a live and learn world with Zs.  Fuel+spark+air=combustion and if the starter is cranking with those factors in place, it should be good to go in most cases.  Also, check under the distributor cap to make sure the rotor is there and that everything else looks as it should.

Thanks for your service from this retired veteran

Dennis

• Like 1

How long was "left for the military, and came back"? You're in California so give it enough time the fuel could evaporate. That could take some time for a mechanical pump to pump up again.

You can try the Aerostart test, like mentioned here above in Patcon's post.

The test will do two things:

1: Identify you have a fuel problem and not a spark or air problem.

2:  It wiill run the engine briefly. The starter turns the engine at about 300 to 400 rpm. If it runs on starter fluid for a few seconds the higher turning speed (above 600 rpm) will work the pump a lot faster and prime the system. A couple of short runs on starter fluid might be all you need.

1. remove the plug wire from centre of distributor and have friend hold metal conductor 3mm from bolt on strut tower and look for spark when you crank.

2. Pour fuel into the two carb  fuel bowls through their vent hoses.

3. Attach plug wire then start.

If battery dies, jumper +to+  and -to-  from a running car to help crank.

Edited by 240260280

On 4/28/2018 at 5:25 PM, psdenno said:

ç≈

There is NO "quick 101", it's a live and learn world with Zs.  Fuel+spark+air=combustion and if the starter is cranking with those factors in place, it should be good to go in most cases.  Also, check under the distributor cap to make sure the rotor is there and that everything else looks as it should.

Thanks for your service from this retired veteran

Dennis

You as well, sir! Semper Fi.

• Like 1