IGNORED

DIY Home Built Vapor Blasting/ Honing Cabinet , wetblasting

duffymahoney

Fresh water is just hooked up to my houses faucet. super simple 

9 minutes ago, Patcon said:

So how does fresh water rinse work?

Do you have a fresh water line coming to the unit and a nozzle inside or are you picking clear water up from a tank on the unit?

A lot of the units Ive seen seem to have an on board fresh water supply

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead!

I've been researching hard for DIY vapor blasters and I am gathering components. I've watched hours and hours of videos and am currently searching for a trash pump. 

Parts sourced so far:

- "Used once" Harbor Freight 40lb sandblasting cabinet - MSRP $199 - scored for $100 on Facebook Marketplace (I wanted to be able to fit an L6 head inside without any problems.)

- Brand new, never used Craftsman 80-gallon two-stage air compressor - MSRP $1649 - scored for $700 on Facebook Marketplace  

- Custom brass vapor blast gun from Armoury Enterprises in New Zealand [3mm aluminum air jet, 8mm ceramic nozzle, 1/2" slurry inlet, 1/2" air inlet] - $70

Need to buy: 

- Lighting upgrade (Duffy I like your latest choice)

- Flexzilla hose (most recommended hose to use by all the builders) / plumbing for air compressor / drier / pedal 

- Trash pump

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some findings in my research:

-  Most youtubers recommend no more than 60psi for vapor blasting aluminum parts. I prefer that clean, polished look. Glass beads #13 Very Fine, not crushed glass. I watched a video where a guy said crushed glass is far more abrasive; he stripped a painted greasy rusty cast iron intake with it.

- "Secret" I'm going to try: supposedly turning off air supply completely and letting trash pump push the slurry at ~25psi by itself as a final step will provide the greatest lustre. 

68893_W3.jpg

42186656.jpg

Screen_Shot_2021-11-08_at_11.32.57_PM_1024x1024@2x.png

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

I used an old pool fiter pump for my vapour blaster, works great.

So that's sand blasting with water mixed in? There's a lot of benefit it seems like than the waste and mess of doing it dry. 

I've done some old pieces of small tables to strip the pant off and it works great. Can't wait to figure out adding water.

I did this old phone table but ran out of bead. I like it just like this. Reminds me of all the different colors Mom made me paint it. LOL

20220104_182537.jpg

• Haha 1