IGNORED

1972 240Z Manifold Heat Control Thermostat

Halvernaz

Nice pics. Thanks for the autopsy. So is that a brass seat? The tapered portion at the bottom?

Wonder why it don't work no more. Are you sure it don't work no more? It should be open at room temp. You think it never closes?

What happens when you warm up the center portion of the guts? In theory, it should get longer when hot.*

*I know... Go for it.

Damn, you hit me with a buck shot of questions. ROFL

Let me get better pics tomorrow and maybe you can answer those yourself. 

I've been painting which in laymen terms means drinking. Beer in one hand balances out the brush in the other. I'm liking the rental house now so maybe a grown-up move into the nicer house is in my future. Can't live in my stabbin' cabin now the stabbin' has slowed down to a stab, drips and drabs.

20171211_165140.jpg

3 hours ago, Namerow said:

How did you get it apart?

Took a steel rod and inserted it into the inlet bung, popped with a hammer and the top pressed in brass piece popped right out.  Put everything back together and put it in a vice and pressed the brass top back into place.  That top brass piece with the four holes is sort of angled on the edge and fits snuggly into the housing.

You're right, the small threaded rod doesn't hold it together (I don't think).  I unscrewed it from the top brass piece expecting it to come apart but nothing happened.  Then I used a rod and hammer.

I'll get some better pictures in a bit. 

Cliff