IGNORED

Home Built Z 'Full video build'

Home Built by Jeff

26 minutes ago, Home Built by Jeff said:

I will give that a go. From the sounds of things though, the reason for the moustache bar being moved backwards I believe is because the early ones weren't well lined up with the axels and they would wear out quickly?

The forward mounted angle caused vibration.  But it was only on the very early cars.  They changed in 71 I think.  The propeller shaft was lengthened also.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsuns30/Datsun-Z-Index/Power-Train/Propeller-Shaft

I'm not following all of the videos, I have a short attention span and can't watch a video for more than a minute, but aren't your parts supposed to fit together?  Or are you piecemealing?

On your videos - if you add an index to each one, ID'ing certain operations like diff install, trans install, etc. by time point, people can go directly to specific parts.  Might get you more viewers.  The suggestion is mainly for me though.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

The forward mounted angle caused vibration.  But it was only on the very early cars.  They changed in 71 I think.  The propeller shaft was lengthened also.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsuns30/Datsun-Z-Index/Power-Train/Propeller-Shaft

I'm not following all of the videos, I have a short attention span and can't watch a video for more than a minute, but aren't your parts supposed to fit together?  Or are you piecemealing?

On your videos - if you add an index to each one, ID'ing certain operations like diff install, trans install, etc. by time point, people can go directly to specific parts.  Might get you more viewers.  The suggestion is mainly for me though.

My car came stripped in boxes, put together by a guy who has 20 S30's so everything is mix and match, which is why it is tough.

As for going through each one, the title is as far as I can give you a heads up on. It takes so long to make these videos in the first place, going through and linking every part is beyond me. That is why you should watch them all ? 

1 hour ago, wheee! said:

Grab a new moustache bar Jeff. I don’t like the drilling and oblong’ing you did on the current one. Too much play in there now.

Yeah, that is some weird stuff.  2:20 in the video.  I'm not aware that the stud spacing changed on the diffs over the years.  Maybe it did.

Do you know your gearing?  Of the transmission and the diff.  You want low matched with high or vice versa.  There's quite a range available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJMua4Y-eP0&list=PLnidW9Wb_Djx4zNB2ykgV5usgGihI8dhW&index=67&t=0s

Edited by Zed Head

3 hours ago, cgsheen1 said:

Just posted this on HybridZ - not to double up, but I thought I'd add to what these brilliant Gentlemen are saying:

Jeff, hate to keep harping on the transmission slave cylinder, clutch fork, collar, and throw-out bearing... BUT... ...

In it's current configuration I believe you may well have trouble with the collar moving too far forward and slipping off the tube that it should glide back and forth on.  If it does that while driving you'll be in trouble...

Good ingenuity.  The other potential problem is the fork hitting the back of the hole before full release.  Doesn't look centered, and looks like more than 6 cm.  Might want to test it while the trans is easy to get out.  The clutch system is super easy to bleed and doesn't take much fluid. 

Alrighty, that's my high-concentration Home Built catch-up.  Good luck.

From #67.

image.png

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Home Built by Jeff said:

I am just amazed at how many differences there are between S30 models. I thought it would have just been a slight cosmetic difference here and there and a slightly improved engine. It definitely goes a lot deeper than that.

Right?

It has also amazed my son and I as Z cars passed through our shop how different each one was to another.  They all have different "personalities" - rather than: "a Z is a Z is a Z"...  It's definitely a car you can make your own.

• Like 1

After looking further into things, I think the best option for me is to just make up a simple spacer (around 5mm) to go between the back of the diff and the moustache bar. There is a heap of thread there and that means the axles have a good angle (unlike the early car, but also the diff will still line up with the diff mount.

There's three different diff mounts out there.  #16 below.

Why would you need a spacer if the holes aren't the right size.  Thought you were going to grind and oblong.  Lots of ways to get the diff in there, but if it's not right you might have vibration and noise problems, if you drive it.  What are you going to do with the car once it's together?

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsuns30/Datsun-Z-Index/Axle/Rear-Suspension

I have had a whole heap of advice over the last few days from a bunch of different sources and the issue is that there are several different parts that changed from year to year, not just model to model. In my case, the car is a 71, the gearbox, diff, etc, etc, could be from anywhere. I will see what I can find, but if I can get what I have to work all the better. Otherwise I could be banging my head against a brick wall for ages trying to source all of the different moustache bars and diffs, etc until I actually find the right combination that fits.

As for the 'oblong holes' to make my diff fit in the moustache bar. It is actually quite a tight fit. Alignment could be slightly out, but time will tell. If I have a heap of vibrations to deal with, then I will sort it out.