Home Built by Jeff

Home Built Z 'Full video build'

    Recommended Posts


    8 hours ago, RS02 said:

    Hey I've been following your Porsche and home build for a while! Didn't know you're here!

    Now I am actually working on my Z I thought it was about time I actually started learning something about it :blush:

    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Now I am actually working on my Z I thought it was about time I actually started learning something about it :blush:

    Hope you have a great time with the Z!


    Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile
    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Jeff I absolutely love your work and determination to get these cars going. The workmanship is first class.

    One thing that bugs the crap out of me is the bumper music you chose.

    Is this a rave for 19 year old girls or a real man's show about building awesome cars?

    Get some AC/DC or guitar based stuff not that techno garbage.

    I see your wife (you're punching way above your class) is in a lot of your vids, maybe she chose the music.

    Sorry for the rant but that type of music is slowly taking over the world because no one is paying attention and real people who have the talent to play instruments are losing work.

    Otherwise I'm envious of what you've accomplished and keep up the videos. I even like the home repair ones.

    Edited by SurferD
    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I never heard them before but that rocks and is now required music on every Datsun video! That Japanese song is great too.

    Thanks!

    Edited by SurferD

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I am not a music guy by any means. I am open to suggestions, but it needs to be royalty free music. The selections are not great. If you give me links to good royalty free stuff I will happily use it. 

    The other issue is that music taste is so subjective, that no matter what I do, someone will hate it ;) 

    Edited by Home Built by Jeff

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    This week I get into stripping the many many layers and years of paint and bog off of the Z. It is a very slow messy job, but it has to be done.

    Music has been changed in this one. Better? Worse? Give up?

     

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Jeff, music's definitely better. That stripper is messy stuff.

    Edited by SurferD
    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 10/3/2017 at 12:13 AM, SurferD said:

    Jeff, music's definitely better. That stripper of messy stuff.

    Unfortunately, I am finding getting the paint off is messy no matter what way I tackle it. Getting there though ;) 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I am not a body work guy but was wondering if using a file to cut the weld down may work better to control heat.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    5 hours ago, Dave WM said:

    I am not a body work guy but was wondering if using a file to cut the weld down may work better to control heat.

    Possibly, but it would be super slow. The problem with MIG welds is that they are really hard, which is why they take so much grinding.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    30 minutes ago, Home Built by Jeff said:

    Possibly, but it would be super slow. The problem with MIG welds is that they are really hard, which is why they take so much grinding.

    roger that. After posted I did some research, seems gas fusion (oxy/ace torch and just heat up ant fuse) is discussed a lot for thin sheet metal (not as hard as mig). I am sure welding is an art form that takes a lot of practice to get really good at. Hope to give that a go some day.

    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I think the missing step and cause of the metal warping during welding is that Jeff is not "planishing" the spot welds as he goes.  Just like the metal shrinking technique that Jeff used to fix oil canning, each spot weld shrinks the metal when it cools and creates little stress points at each weld.  If you grind down the spot welds (after each pass around the repair area) followed by a little hammer and dollie work, you relieve the stresses in the spot welds that cause metal warping to occur.  Repeat after each pass.  The issue is that it takes a lot of extra time and work and sometimes a little judicial panel beating and filler is much faster/easier.

    Simply "google" planishing for the details.

    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    7 hours ago, David F said:

    I think the missing step and cause of the metal warping during welding is that Jeff is not "planishing" the spot welds as he goes.  Just like the metal shrinking technique that Jeff used to fix oil canning, each spot weld shrinks the metal when it cools and creates little stress points at each weld.  If you grind down the spot welds (after each pass around the repair area) followed by a little hammer and dollie work, you relieve the stresses in the spot welds that cause metal warping to occur.  Repeat after each pass.  The issue is that it takes a lot of extra time and work and sometimes a little judicial panel beating and filler is much faster/easier.

    Simply "google" planishing for the details.

    I did that this week with the initial spot welds. To be honest, you could do a little bit of hammer and dolly every spot weld as you go, or as I have, a little bit at the end. The warping I got was nothing major, but I think the main thing that people need to know, it whatever you do.

    Edited by Home Built by Jeff

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now