IGNORED

New member introduction - My 76' 280Z in Atlanta

6 hours ago, eloZada said:

Also, I saw these cables down there. Yiu think that might be the wiring for the pump?
IMG_3756.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Yes. Did you see Steve post above with a an offer to help wit the wiring?  He is really very good wirh the diagrams and how things work. Take him up on his offer!

• Like 1

Yes. Did you see Steve post above with a an offer to help wit the wiring?  He is really very good wirh the diagrams and how things work. Take him up on his offer!

I wasn't sure if it was an offer or wishful thinking [emoji28].

SteveJ, I will take you up on the offer. The moment I trust the car to move far enough to reach you we can meet.

I wonder if you could put a hose on the tank side or input of the fuel pump then run that hose into a gas jug sitting in the hatch, strapped down and secured of course?  I know you can a 240 but hadn't thought about a 280.  They only make high pressure after the fuel pump so it should work.

A temporary solution to get to a garage or mechanic.

1 hour ago, eloZada said:

I wasn't sure if it was an offer or wishful thinking emoji28.png.

SteveJ, I will take you up on the offer. The moment I trust the car to move far enough to reach you we can meet.

I was helping a friend last weekend sort out the same hack job where someone replaced factory  FI with carbs and didn't do a good job on the fuel pump wiring. My friend and I tag-team. He provides the mechanical expertise, and I provide the electrical expertise. 

I'll send you a PM later. 

• Like 1

I was helping a friend last weekend sort out the same hack job where someone replaced factory  FI with carbs and didn't do a good job on the fuel pump wiring. My friend and I tag-team. He provides the mechanical expertise, and I provide the electrical expertise. 
I'll send you a PM later. 

Thanks SteveJ, I'm in away the complete next week, so I won't get anything done soon anyway. But I'll get in touch when I'm back.

• 2 months later...

Hello ... Thought I'd chime in on the discussion.  With regard to eloZada's previous pic of the float bowl with fuel, is that about the amount of fuel that should be in the bowl with the floats calibrated to .55in?  Approximately what height of fuel should be observed after removing the float?  I know there are numerous discussions regarding the fuel height and ways of checking via clear tubes etc.  Thanks!

25 minutes ago, nbenning said:

Hello ... Thought I'd chime in on the discussion.  With regard to eloZada's previous pic of the float bowl with fuel, is that about the amount of fuel that should be in the bowl with the floats calibrated to .55in?  Approximately what height of fuel should be observed after removing the float?  I know there are numerous discussions regarding the fuel height and ways of checking via clear tubes etc.  Thanks!

not too sure what your asking but here's some shots of mine at 23mm down from lid's roof.

Thanks for the reply and the reference to your Float Bowl experiment.  If only we had see-thru bowls on our Carbs!  Anyway, to clarify, I am wanting to know what is the fuel level in the bowl after the Float Lid and Float are removed?  I can then use a small scale to measure the height from inside the bowl.  When I removed my Float Lid and Float, I'm only seeing about a 1/2" of fuel in the bowl.  Thanks!

IMG_0304.PNG

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Sorry it took me so long to update you on this. After lots of trying I finally gave up on trying to fix it myself. I ended up taking it to a shop near my place that fixes old Porsches and the guys is apparently pretty good with carbs. One of his employees conveniently helped me out when I was stranded once again trying out new changes.

In the end there were several things that they tried out. First of all, he said the fuel line was all wrong, cause it had the set up for fuel injection, with fuel return line. But since the car was retrofitted with carbs by the PO it did not need a fuel return. One of the things that was happening was that most of the fuel was actually going to the return line and not enough gas was getting to the carbs. Another thing was apparently that the fuel pump was weak, as it was one of those cheap Napa pumps and it's placed in the engine compartment.

The thing is, that the car runs fine when it's hooked to an external fuel tank, but when they hooked it up to the actual tank, it stops getting enough fuel after 5 or 10 minutes because all of the rust and crud. So that is hopefully the last item on the list now.

Now I'm going to try and find out if I can find someone to refurbish mine or a non-rusted tank that is not too expensive. I think Siteunseen already gave some tips about that in this forum.

@SteveJ Do you know anybody local that can do the tank?

Thanks!