IGNORED

Assessed Value 240z

lkild77

I will chime in here even though you have wisely moved on. The black plugs in the door jambs indicate that the car has had an anit-rust treatment. The rustiest Z I have ever seen had these plugs...

Patcon. I did not know that! Thanks.

I told my son, this will be an educational experience for both is us. We can get our degree in a few weeks. It will take time and effort and a little LUCK!

Have our sights set on buying a 240z by end of July. That may be optimistic but we have a bogey in sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Patcon. I did not know that! Thanks.

I told my son, this will be an educational experience for both is us. We can get our degree in a few weeks. It will take time and effort and a little LUCK!

Have our sights set on buying a 240z by end of July. That may be optimistic but we have a bogey in sight.

Can't get our degree! :)

The first 240 I bought I was hypnotized by the 240 itch and paid too much for it.  Lucky I kept it long enough to get my money back but that's my lesson learned, don't jump on one too quick there's plenty to be had for a good price.

Use searchtempest.com I think it is, for all of craigslist listings.

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1

Can you and your son do any work yourselves? Do the two of you have time, money, and desire to do work yourselves? You have decided you want a Z but there are a few things to be considered. We are all enthusiasts here and would never discourage someone from buying a car, but as well we are REALISTS. Either you will pay a lot of money for a car that needs nothing, or you will pay relatively little money for something that needs a lot! If someone has done all the work and has a jewel he will want a jewelers price for it. I paid 2k for mine back in 1994 and I am still working on it today just to improve and keep it all in one piece. First figure your price point. Remember it is your price point not someone else's. Answer the 2 questions at the top of this response. I don't think anyone wants to see the two of you end up with buyers remorse or a pink elephant. Personally if I'm going to spend more than 17k for a vehicle it would have to be a new or nearly new vehicle, not one of these cars that could need quite a bit of work just to make it a safe daily driver let alone performance enhancements. Look around a lot. A car that is in better shape structurally will have spent it's life in the desert southwest or some other dry climate. If it spent it's life in a humid climate like the one you posted it will more than likely need (some) metal replacement to some degree. I bought both of mine because they were complete, one sat for at least 7 years and the other one I'm not quite sure how long but I knew what I was getting myself into, even more so the second time.

IMG_20130623_162603_822.jpg

• Like 1

This car was on Craigslist for awhile and then on eBay and I don't think it sold. You can call and see if it's still around. 

I think he was asking 12 or 13k. This was a screen shot from March 4th.

IMG_0118.PNG

Edited by JSM
  • Like 1

Can you and your son do any work yourselves? Do the two of you have time, money, and desire to do work yourselves? You have decided you want a Z but there are a few things to be considered. We are all enthusiasts here and would never discourage someone from buying a car, but as well we are REALISTS. Either you will pay a lot of money for a car that needs nothing, or you will pay relatively little money for something that needs a lot! If someone has done all the work and has a jewel he will want a jewelers price for it. I paid 2k for mine back in 1994 and I am still working on it today just to improve and keep it all in one piece. First figure your price point. Remember it is your price point not someone else's. Answer the 2 questions at the top of this response. I don't think anyone wants to see the two of you end up with buyers remorse or a pink elephant. Personally if I'm going to spend more than 17k for a vehicle it would have to be a new or nearly new vehicle, not one of these cars that could need quite a bit of work just to make it a safe daily driver let alone performance enhancements. Look around a lot. A car that is in better shape structurally will have spent it's life in the desert southwest or some other dry climate. If it spent it's life in a humid climate like the one you posted it will more than likely need (some) metal replacement to some degree. I bought both of mine because they were complete, one sat for at least 7 years and the other one I'm not quite sure how long but I knew what I was getting myself into, even more so the second time.
IMG_20130623_162603_822.thumb.jpg.bdf60054c3d46f25bd6276193f9bbb7d.jpg

Thanks for the advice. I am going to get educated by Dave next week. Local Z owner near me who I meet on here.

We do some mechanical skills and desire to learn. Can change break rotars, pads, service car, etc. I have yanked off quarter panels on my past vehicles (when my wife backed into my car!) :) and replaced the panel from the junk yard car I yanked that from. But major work is probably going to be at the shop. Our goal is to get a car that is middle road. Needs some work but not a major over haul.

The one I posted is major. It seems, unseen.

I really appreciate the inputs. You guys are great. Trying to do this smartly.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey did you ever find a car? I know where there is a 78 280z blue that "appears" to be pretty nice let me know I'll PM you the Info.  He's asking 10k. 

IMG_0196.PNG

IMG_0197.PNG

IMG_0198.PNG

Edited by JSM

• 3 weeks later...