IGNORED

Assessed Value 240z

lkild77

Hi. I need help. I am a "new in the hunt" Z Car baby looking for a 240z to get so my son and I can drive to car shows, but one I can also use as a daily driver. 

Wonder if I can get input on this car for sale on eBay  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192201174074

With all the visible rust and after talking to the cars mechanic for the last 12 years, I see this car needing major body work and a total interior overhaul.  The seller is a very nice guy in the phone. 

I am going on the 6th with my son to see the car. 

Wonder if I can get some advice on value and expected work?

additinal pics from seller attached. 

Thanks! 

IMG_3415.JPG

IMG_3414.JPG

IMG_3412.JPG

IMG_3408.JPG

IMG_3407.JPG

IMG_3403.JPG

IMG_3405.JPG

No photos from underneath the car. No idea of engine health. Plenty of band-aid fixes under the hood. 

Most likely it's crack pipe pricing at $14K. Too many unknowns for someone to give you anything better than a swag.

However, if you want a Z really bad, this might be a bad Z for you.

• Like 1

The gaps on the passenger side are off and the paint looks mismatched.  Like it's had some accident repair done.

Seems pricey for a plain old survivor 1971 240Z, but your local market, time available, and plans for the car need to be factored in.  

FL cars are probably all pretty rusty.  If you can travel, you could probably find a North Texas or Midwest car that's in better shape for cheaper.

No photos from underneath the car. No idea of engine health. Plenty of band-aid fixes under the hood. 
Most likely it's crack pipe pricing at $14K. Too many unknowns for someone to give you anything better than a swag.
However, if you want a Z really bad, this might be a bad Z for you.

Engine runs good.

I would be on the car for 4K max really in this shape. Just doing a sanity check with you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

NO SIREE BOB! Could be a daily driver and car show quality after much time effort and $$$$$! If you were getting it for 5K or so you would have plenty leftover to at least get the valance below the doors and the rest of the known cancer areas squared away. This rig needs lots of metal work and if you are no good with a welder you better have plenty of $$$$$$$ to pay someone who is. Normally cars in this shape need to be completely taken apart and worked thouroughly. BTW I agree with the CRACK PIPE PRICING assessment!

The gaps on the passenger side are off and the paint looks mismatched.  Like it's had some accident repair done.
Seems pricey for a plain old survivor 1971 240Z, but your local market, time available, and plans for the car need to be factored in.  
FL cars are probably all pretty rusty.  If you can travel, you could probably find a North Texas or Midwest car that's in better shape for cheaper.

My only hesitation is buying a car unseen on EBay or BAT.

9 minutes ago, lkild77 said:

My only hesitation is buying a car unseen on EBay or BAT.

The hesitation that you're describing is called WISDOM. Some (most) of us have bought a Z that required a lot more work than we thought it would, even after looking at it in person. 

The hesitation that you're describing is called WISDOM. Some (most) of us have bought a Z that required a lot more work than we thought it would, even after looking at it in person. 

Good point. So I have decided to limit my search to Florida, where I can drive to inspect and potentially have a mechanic inspect. So, that limits my market quite a bit.

There is 1 on BAT auction in Miami that is a time capsule. 31,000 miles 1970 240z! But the bidding is at 26k with 6 days left. Too rich for me. And we want a semi daily driver. Not a museum piece.

• Like 2