IGNORED

Driver's Side Tie Rod

Even the new racks from carsteering.com 

http://www.carsteering.com/partview/Nissan/280Z/Manual_Steering_Rack/80~70087_AN.html

have only RH threads on both ends. 

At $270 ish bucks these racks are a pretty good deal. I bought one (how I know both ends are RH) and have inspected it pretty closely. Looks decent. One guy on hybridz installed it and is happy with the result. 

I bought mine from their ebay store. Came in about 5 days. 

Edited by zKars

innertierods.thumb.jpg.201664a828588d98a23703131d7f2e16.jpg

I was wondering about those inner ends. I see they are on Amazon too for around $90 each.  

At $270 ish bucks these racks are a pretty good deal. I bought one (how I know both ends are RH) and have inspected it pretty closely. Looks decent. One guy on hybridz installed it and is happy with the result.  I bought mine from their ebay store. Came in about 5 days.

Not bad! (Edit: 240z racks there are $347 - http://www.carsteering.com/addtocart/1973_Nissan/240Z/Manual_Steering_Rack/80-70090.html)

I keep seeing places say that the ZX inner TREs work on Zs, but that can't be right. They look totally different (https://zcardepot.com/tie-rod-end-inner.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwsNfOBRCWARIsAGITapav6ihEQy_Zt8wIeCAtvXUYBShoFOken7iHYZfG6FZiOdqNRCIFvVMaAlgkEALw_wcB). Anyone know for sure, because you can get them for $18.

So I have used the Rare Parts ITR ends on a couple of different rack rebuilds and they work great.  All of the ones that you see from T3, Z Car Depot, etc are all the Rare Parts ones.  I can definitely vouch for the quality and performance of the part.  Looks a little different from the OEM one but works perfectly.

I can also tell you for sure that the ZX TRE do not work on S30's.  I purchased a set from Rock Auto that were listed for the S30 but turns out they were for the ZX and are nothing like the ones for our cars.

I also know that you can get the Rare Parts  ITR ends for around $60 but I'll have to look up the site where I purchased them  Let me know if you are interested in that information.

Mike.

• Like 1

OK.  I found the site that had the best prices on these.

Car Parts Discount.  This is where I purchased them the last time.  $58.55 each instead of $91.

http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto/parts/catalog/nissan~280zx.html?3593=37540&3671=1002&r=2&gclid=Cj0KCQjw09zOBRCqARIsAH8XF1bN2LvN_yPpBzlKTUToGkfoPrArWPokJX3hJZfO-u29Li4i1AHVpmcaAo5aEALw_wcB

Also if you are going to go through the exercise of rebuilding your rack, you also really want to consider new pinion bearings as well as replacing the inner sleeve bushings pressed into each end of the rack.  I had to have those sleeve bearings made by a local machine shop as they are a very odd size.  Actually I was thinking about offering a rebuild service for these old racks until I saw the new ones from car steering for around $300.  If they are of good quality that would be a very interesting way to go.

Mike.

I just installed my inner left from www.rareparts.com. Seemed Autozone, oriely, advance all get from rareparts and mark it up. 

Of course it is a right on the left. Part number is RP26575. It was $101 shipped. 

Actually I was thinking about offering a rebuild service for these old racks until I saw the new ones from car steering for around $300.  If they are of good quality that would be a very interesting way to go.

$300 for a 280z. Closer to $400 for the 240z, unless you found a place I haven't seen.

Mike, do you have a thread going where you show how to rebuild a rack?