IGNORED

FS: 280Z Fresh Air Duct Set

jfa.series1

What dhp said. The air goes through the grill, passes through these "L" ducts and then through the upper frame of the inner fender and into the car at the kick panel under the dash. See TomoHawk's pic. The plastic fender liners make no difference.

Chuck

17 minutes ago, wheee! said:

Maybe get the mods to rename this thread for the appropriate model car now.... @Mike

And maybe not.  The parts came from a 11/74 build date 280Z which I think qualifies it as a '75 model.  The P/N's and effective dates I supplied in post #3 came from carpartsmanual.com.  If you can supply better P/N info, please do so.

If you really wanted to, and you  had the fender off, would be to hook up a show vac with a small hose, and blow air INTO the lower vent to see where it comes out.  I tried it on mine recently, and it doesn't come out  in the wiper linkage area, so you'd have to go further forward to find where the air is exiting.  It may even come out  of those round holes in radiator support, because you'll notice that the radiator support is two pieces (front & back) with some space between them.

The inner fender intake opening is indeed still there, there is just no where for the hose to go to, as the FI intake goes through the round opening in the radiator support. The only way a 280Z could use this system is if there was no FI system on it... IMHO

Notice the opening in the inner fender.

IMG_4600.JPG

1 hour ago, jfa.series1 said:

And maybe not.  The parts came from a 11/74 build date 280Z which I think qualifies it as a '75 model.  The P/N's and effective dates I supplied in post #3 came from carpartsmanual.com.  If you can supply better P/N info, please do so.

Nope. I stand on my assessment. Here are the Carpartsmanual part numbers.

Here are the parts numbers for the parts as they appear on 240z body .

66 ASSY-GUIDE AIR INTAK
  62590-E4101       1
67 ASSY-GUIDE AIR INTAK
  62591-E4101

Here are the parts numbers as they appear in the 260z & 280z 2+2 body section.

61 ASSY-GUIDE AIR INTAK
  62590-E4101     7607 1
62 ASSY-GUIDE AIR INTAK
  62591-E4101     7408 1

62591-N4500

61 And 66 are for the right side of fresh air elbow which were standard in all ZCARs (coupe or 2+2) up until 7.76.

62 And 67 are for the left side which for the first number of 62 was up until 8.74.

The second set of numbers in the second number of 62  has N45 in the part number which corresponds to Nissan internal identification for 2+2 vehicles.

Having had a '76 280z there is no place to mount a left side fresh air elbow on a 280z as that is where the boot from the air cleaner to the air flow meter goes.

This is true on all 280z's as they are all fuel injected.

I have been pulling Datsun parts in salvage yards as a profession for close to a decade now and another decade before that for fun.

It is in my best interest to nail parts applications down to the best of my ability because Nissan (Datsun) had alot of idiosyncrasies in the parts labelling and I do not like creating problems through misinformation.

Edited by dhp123166

2 hours ago, wheee! said:

The inner fender intake opening is indeed still there; there is just no where for the hose to go to, as the FI intake goes through the round opening in the radiator support. The only way a 280Z could use this system is if there was no FI system on it... IMHO

You could easily add a length of ordinary hose to the front, near the turn indicators, or use a different path for the throttle intake, which frees the round opening.  The latter would sallow you to get a cooler supply of air, and at a greater pressure.

Edited by TomoHawk