IGNORED

FS: 280Z Fresh Air Duct Set

jfa.series1

This is a L/R set of fresh air ducts for a '75 or '76 280Z.  These are in excellent condition - no cracks or other damage, the bellows are flexible.  Installation screws included.  The right side unit fits all S30's but the throat on the left side is larger and will not fit a 240Z or 260Z.  Sold only as a set, $75 includes shipping within CONUS, payment via PayPal.

280Z Vents 01.jpg

280Z Vents 02.jpg

Edited by jfa.series1

4 hours ago, wheee! said:

My car came with neither. Zkars provided me a right hand unit. I thought there was no allocation for a 280Z with FI for the left side? Any pics of one installed in a 280?

I've not owned a 280 so I can't comment for sure on the FI issue.  But.  here's a clarification on the P/N that I think explains it:

62590-E4101 Right side all S30's

62591-E4101 Left side 240Z, 260Z (I was incorrect on my original post regarding the 260Z).

62591-E4500 Left side 280Z from 7409 to 7607.  This would make it effective on '75 and '76 models only.

No pic of the car I pulled these from, but it was a '75.  Thanks for raising the question, I'll update my original post.

Jim

The 280Z (1978) doesn't use those.   You may be misled when browsing eBay auctions to think that the 280Z does use them, because most sellers attract buyers by listing any and all Zed parts as "fits 240Z/260Z/280Z/280ZX" when it actually doesn't.

The fresh air is obtained by a 'scoop' formed from the forward-bottom edge of the inner fender/splash guard, and the channel located along the upper edge of the inner fender channels the air to the  floor vent inside.

The 240Z uses those plastic tubes because it has no inner fenders..

But if you've removed the splash guards, is it still possible to add those back to the car?  The location where it attaches to the inner fender doesn't seem to have much stress on it, compared to where the air channel attaches to the firewall.  Could you cut a hole near the drain tube for a 4cm plastic pickup tube?

BTW-  this Cabin fresh air is different than the one under the slotted cowl panel at the foot of the windscreen;  that is the fresh air for the heater and demister.

Air Channel to Cabin.JPG

Edited by TomoHawk

Still confused. I am not sure where the air enters the inner fender. There is an opening where a vent tube would go inside the engine bay, but the intake hole is used by the cold air intake for the FI system.

Is this what you are referring to?  It attaches to the end of the snorkel on the air filter box, and goes across to the other side of the radiator and into the other round hole.  It's not a cold air intake, because it gets the warm air from behind the radiator.

duct 1.jpg

You are correct in calling these fresh air ducts however...

...the left side with the larger inlet is for all 11.73 - 11.74 260z 2+2's and 9.74- 11.74 260z coupes only.

280z's never had fresh air ducts on the left because that is where the rubber inlet boot for the front air cleaner to air flow meter was situated.

I have pulled enough of these to have solved this bit of Datsun minutiae.

Edited by dhp123166
  • Like 1