IGNORED

Faster response when speeding from 1st geat on my 240z and other issues

jalexquijano

Opening and closing the choke before he starts it drops the nozzles and they refill with fuel right?  I pull mine all the way back and crank it, let it run for a minute or two and then go half choke.  Drive out of my neighborhood which takes about 2 or 3 minutes then get on the main roads and close the choke.  

I think his choke time is close to what I do and he's worried for no reason.

From all his past post he wants someone to say YES or NO.  So can you or anybody else tell him YES or NO?

Everything I've ever had with a manual choke has been different.  My Exmark mower has to be choked EVERYTIME I crank it no matter how hot it is.  I can run it for an hour and turn it off for 5 minutes and it won't crank with out choking it.  I guess it needs the throttle blade closed to pull the fuel in?  

Jalex do you have to choke it throughout the day or just first thing in the morning?  Do you let your pump run for a couple of seconds to fill the lines and float bowl or do you immediately crank your car?  If you read the definition of "choke" I think you'll ease your head/mind.

Edited by siteunseen

49 minutes ago, siteunseen said:
3 hours ago, jalexquijano said:

i was just questioning about the choke time and if it was safe to use the car when cold with the choke pulled for 5 to 7 mins until it warms up?

From all his past post he wants someone to say YES or NO.  So can you or anybody else tell him YES or NO?

So, if a simple Yes or No is all that's needed.........

YES!

Totally safe.  The car won't catch fire, drive into a ditch, or tip over because the choke is open.  However, for 46 years, I've judged when to back off on the choke by performance feel, not by looking at the temperature gauge or the clock.  That's been my experience in starting and driving in ambient temperatures ranging from minus 20 degrees to 120 degrees F.  Real seat of the pants driving just like knowing when to shift by sound and feel rather than looking at the tach.  The Z is a car for all seasons.

Dennis

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

If you push the choke off too soon, the engine will stumble (mixture is too lean) when you accelerate or it will die at idle. Keep in mind the choke can be used in any position as the engine warms up. Ideally, one gives the engine only as much choke as it needs during the warm-up cycle. As the engine gradually warms, the choke can be gradually pushed off.