Sunline

Nissan Factory restoration cars

For 70k the dealer is having a wet dream.

1997, 27k is about 41k in todays dollars.

It is worth 40k over initial cost?

It's supply/demand I guess and how valuable a factory authorized (not performed like Porsche does) resoration is to the buyer.

Fine examples of 70/71 cars can be gotten for way less. It is beautiful though.

That said, the Z432 that sold for over 250k was surprising but not unexpected since there were so few made (about 20) and they were truly special cars.

Edited by SurferD
  • Like 1

It's clean for sure, is it worth 70K?  Maybe to the right person out there, but not to me.  I'd be curious to know if it sells and for how much.  Also it states this car is not a Nissan factory restored car, but just a 240Z restored by Classic Datsun Motorsport.

I missed that fact. That devalues it even more IMO. I do wish these cars would spike and stay up like other classics but the market still hasn't "found" them. 

I have mixed feelings about the idea of the value of my car going up.  If it goes up too much and something happens to it I won't be able to replace it.

10 minutes ago, Sunline said:

Thanks for pointing that out

Unfortunately, some people like me can get pretty anal about this stuff.  (I apologize in advance)   In addition to the clamps, It would be nice to have the radiator and heater hoses braided as well.  These are available at http://jdm-car-parts.com/ .    I would recommend the smog hoses as well from http://jdm-car-parts.com/, but it appears that the smog system has been entirely deleted.  The plug wires are obnoxious with all of the white markings.  Better ones are available.  I am sure there is more that I am missing, but these are the obvious stand-outs and for me would be cause for reduction of the $70K asking price.

• Like 2

It's a beautiful example, and I'm clearly nit-picking, but since we're dog piling...

Paint runs or something else weird going on with the tops of the front strut towers
Corrosion pitting in fan guard
Polished valve cover
Unpainted fender and hood bolts (didn't do a final color spray with the body panels in place).
Black hood torsion springs. Are they supposed to be body colored?
Failed plating on fan pulley and throttle opener diaphragm. Not a big deal, but stick out in contrast to the other new plating elsewhere.
Brake hard lines near master cylinder look a little disorganized. Is that stock routing?

Gotta love a good nit-pick pile-on!   :)

Aftermarket shifter knob, leather wrapped with Datsun logo, instead of factory wooden knob with shift pattern.  My work here is done.

Dennis

Great points! Thanks for all the input.

I spoke to Les Cannaday today and was extremely impressed with the level of detail that went into this restoration. Literally every single part was disassembled and either rebuilt or refinished including the engine internals. The original car was essentially rust free so apparently not too much cut and weld was required. He is sending me pictures of various stages of the 3 year restoration project. According to Les it would cost more than this to duplicate this level of restoration, provided you were able to locate a solid car to begin with. 

I will post the pics when I receive them and look forward to further scrutiny. 

30 minutes ago, Sunline said:

According to Les it would cost more than this to duplicate this level of restoration, provided you were able to locate a solid car to begin with. 

Keep in mind that when someone restores a car and later sells it, they're lucky if they recoup 50 cents of every dollar spent.  

If you look at the other cars listed by the company selling the Z, you'll see they carry fairly inflated price tags as well as enormously inflated wordy descriptions.  The Porsche 944 and the Volvo 1800 are priced almost double the going rate for equally nice cars on the open market.

Dennis

On 1/17/2017 at 11:13 AM, 26th-Z said:

This is the listing for the car.  http://hymanltd.com/vehicles/5796-1971-datsun-240z-coupe/

Many more of you indicated that you want a copy than I have PMs.  My Paypal address is:  cwenzel@earthlink.net and I want you to send me $15 and I'll mail these out this week.

PM sent with address. $15 sent via paypal.

thanks

9 hours ago, DatsunZGuy said:

I wouldn't accept the car if given to me for the mere fact that both air cleaner wingnuts are not in the 3 and 9 o'clock position :wacko:

Wait... I thought the wingnuts were supposed to be at 12 and 6???

Seriously though... It's a beautiful car. Not sure it's 70K beautiful, but it's beautiful.

Anyone know of a real #1 or #2 Condition - aka Concours Quality 240Z being offered For Sale for $50K or less today. Please point it out. Any top Condition #3 examples for sale today for $30K or less today? Mid to low range #3 condition 240Z's are selling on Bring-A-Trailer above $25K..

Point is - it is all about supply and demand - - I don't see much supply in the face of rising demand.

Chris - if the car being discussed here - was judged at an annual Z Car Convention - In STOCK CLASS - would it score 90%? Seems a lot of deductions are obvious.. Concours Quality is all about fine details in perfect condition.. Correct down to the valve stem caps!

• Like 1

Carl,

Yes, remember the valve stem cap discussion?  That seems like ages ago.  I have always contended that the Vintage Zs shouldn't be judged / compared to the ZCCA stock class rules.  They are unique cars on their own IMO.  There are a couple of things going with this particular car that should be considered.  Primarily the asking price is full blown retail / profit from what appears to be a high-end dealer.  I would rather go along with your experience with watching the "average" selling market and determining relative value.  Generally I agree with your assessment.

There was a discussion about this 240Z restored by Les Cannaday on Facebook (Dec 15, 2016, Datsun 240Z Registry of America).  According to Les the customer wanted a nice "daily driver" restoration, so this is by no means a concours restoration.  It was also pointed out this car has passed through several dealers and now resides at a dealer in St. Louis.  If this car has gone through several dealers, that could explain the high markup on the asking price.  It's certainly not worth $70K but it is a nice example of a 240Z!

Robert S.