IGNORED

How to check main thermostat // Where to buy an original Nissan Thermostat?

jalexquijano

What he is telling you is you should be seeing coolant leaking out not water. If you are seeing water then you have NO coolant in the system. You probably just have it, coolant, thinner than what is recommended ant it "looks" like water. Take a white paper towel and soak it up and you'll see a green tint to it.

now i am seeing coolant coming out from one of the bolts!!  Should i just buy a new set of stainless Steel bolts size 12, remove the old gasket, clean both surfaces (thermostat housing and cover)  and install new bolts with this new gasket?? I really dont want to use any High Temp silicone,

Leaking.jpg

Gasket.jpg

5 hours ago, jalexquijano said:

now i am seeing coolant coming out from one of the bolts!!  Should i just buy a new set of stainless Steel bolts size 12, remove the old gasket, clean both surfaces (thermostat housing and cover)  and install new bolts with this new gasket?? I really dont want to use any High Temp silicone,

Leaking.jpg

Gasket.jpg

Here's what you need to do.

1.  Go to the beginning of the responses to your original question and read all of the posts.

2.  Go to the beginning of the responses to your original question and REREAD all of the posts.

3.  Turn on the "voice over" accommodation in the browser software and have your computer read each response to you.  If you're more comfortable with Spanish, use Google Translate.

4.  Do what's been said about solving the problem.  The answer is there.

Other than coming to Panama and doing it for you, there's not much more help to offer.  Use the advice you were given.

Dennis

• Like 3

Your bolts might be too long.  Run them in to their holes with the cover off and see how deep they go.  

It's a little bit weird that you removed the cover without removing the hose first.  Remove the hose before you put it back together, and be extra careful when you reassemble everything.  Check the mating surfaces, install the thermostat in the housing making sure it's flat and seated in its groove, place the gasket carefully, then carefully set the cover on and insert the bolts. Tighten the bolts firmly, use a torque wrench if you have one.  Then put the hose on.

3 hours ago, jalexquijano said:

took one of the bolts out! I think they are 12mm. Cleaned it with wd40 but still has lot of rust! Should i replace them with Stainless Steel of the same size.

rusted bolt.jpg

rusted bolt 2.jpg

no on replace. You should make sure they are not bottoming out and noted above.

Edited by Dave WM

The only thing that matters at this point, right now, is how much of the bolts stick out from the bottom of the cover when you stick the bolts in to the holes.  Forget about all of that other stuff and focus on that.  Stick the bolts in the holes.  Measure or take a picture of the bolts sticking out of the bottom of the holes.

That image, or measurements, will establish the ground work for future suggestions on this problem.

The suggestion about the flat washer was intended for AFTER you determine if you have the correct bolts.  

cleaned both surfaces, cleaned and removed rust from both bolts, installed them with the two washers and new gasket: No more leaks! No need to use high temp rtv. However i did noticed that during traffic jams temp gauge still raises to more than 1/2 so i ordered a 160°F thermostat from z car depot! Not original OEM but at least it is 160°F