IGNORED

parts pricing

sweatybetty

i have gotten so used to having to order parts for this car that i almost cost myself a lot of $$. i need a water pump, so went on-line to order one. that was dumb! look at the cost difference here. less than 1/2 the price and no shipping. they dont have it in stock, but it will be there in the morning.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic15t/16-7021

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-water-pump-new-t1070/5760232-P?searchTerm=water+pump&zoneAssigned=1&prefStoredSet=1&prefZC=97470

• Like 1

I've bought a couple of parts from Advance over the years then I found out about buying online and using a promo code, driving down there and picking it up.  Now with smartphones I can go there and get what I need, go sit in my car and order it with the promo code and pay 20% to 30% less.  https://www.retailmenot.com/view/advanceautoparts.com

On 9/15/2016 at 5:21 PM, S30Driver said:

Let us know how the Tough One pump works out.  20 bucks!

Hopefully the picture showing a cast impeller is accurate - what you get & not a stamped steel one.

what the difference? the one i got is stamped. if it moves water and doesnt leak??is that worth $27+shipping?

9 hours ago, sweatybetty said:

what the difference? the one i got is stamped. if it moves water and doesnt leak??is that worth $27+shipping?

Absolutely, but if the cooling system isn't maintained the stamped steel impeller will wear out faster then the cast iron one.  The real problem is that the cooling system is so easy to forget about if it is working properly, if the system is maintained, every 3 yrs drain the coolant, flush the system, fill with fresh coolant then the chances of overheating and prematurely worn out pumps would be very low. But it's a nasty job and easily put off, a drive in the country is much more fun then changing the coolant.

• Like 1

I think that the thinking is that the cast impellers and housing are shaped to avoid cavitation at high RPM.  That there's a functional reason for the thick curved blades.  Simply replacing them with stamped steel without redesigning the rest of the mechanism isn't sufficient to maintain function.  Don't know if it's true but the race guys even spend a lot of time trying to find the diesel water pumps, which have cast impellers and a housing design that pushes more water.  The diesel pump design kind of adds weight to the argument that the pumps are not as simple as they seem.