IGNORED

End of an era for me.

Walter Moore

OK, sorry for the suspense. I am under doctor's orders to limit my "Screen Time" to 1/2 hour increments a couple of times a day, so I wasn't keeping up on the thread. So I am not supposed to return to work until July 14th. (More doctor's orders.) In the mean time I am recovering OK I think.

Hagerty is handling the claim for me so any fault determination is between them and the other driver's insurance. They had an appraiser at my house to look at the car today, and he said I should have a decision within a day or two. He seemed to think that it was fixable, but my agreed value is fairly low and if the estimate is more than 75% of the agreed value they will just total the car. I honestly don't care which way they decide to handle the situation. If they can get it fixed that would be wonderful, because I have the car pretty much setup exactly how I want it to work. If they declare it a total loss, I have my eyes on some other Zs that are not too far away. Or I might just wait a while until I am sure that I want to get back into the same type of car. When I look at what is left of this car, it gives me pause.

I thought that the addition of a roll cage might be a good idea, but without a helmet it might just introduce something else to bang my head into in an accident. What has me rattled is that this is the worst that I have ever been hurt in a car accident, and it happened literally right next to my garage! It is like an adventurer who has toured the world and been in many of the most dangerous places that exist, being hospitalized from falling in the bathtub...

• Like 2

Oh, and for the record my car has cheap "Sport/racing" seats and the belts are a 4 point harness. I really think that that combination helped my out a lot because I had the belts tight and I stayed firmly in the center of the seat the whole way through the collision. I didn't flop around like happens with just a lap belt, or a lap and shoulder belt combination. Now if the car had rolled over and the roof collapsed it might have been a bad thing...

I am with Hagerty too but so far have never had to deal with them.

Looking at your photos I would say yours is totally repairable. Except I would not want to do it.

Let someone else. Like you, I think I would find another clean straight 240Z example instead.

If the roof and winshield pillar on yours was buckled then I would say not fixable and salvage only.

Out of curiosity, what's the yearly price of Hagerty on a $20,000 agreed value car?

After reading/seeing this I'm a little nervous.  I am single and have a bunch of cars so my Agent has me set up with an umbrella type policy where I have collision with uninsured motorist on one car, then the rest are just the basic state required insurance.  I've always been a little leary of the value they would give me for the nicest 240, I've never had them appraised. :blush:

Walter, Glad to see you're OK. Limit the screen time and do what the Dr. orders. I just didn't see any action from you and the last thing you posted included mention of a concussion. Just a little concerning that you went quiet.

I'm not local to you, but if there's anything I can do from a distance, don't hesitate to ask.

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

Out of curiosity, what's the yearly price of Hagerty on a $20,000 agreed value car?

After reading/seeing this I'm a little nervous.  I am single and have a bunch of cars so my Agent has me set up with an umbrella type policy where I have collision with uninsured motorist on one car, then the rest are just the basic state required insurance.  I've always been a little leary of the value they would give me for the nicest 240, I've never had them appraised. :blush:

I insure 5 Z's at $30,000.00 each stated value for $1100.00 per year:D

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Wow, that's only $200ish a year, peanuts. :)

Thank you Guy, I'm going to follow up on this.

I was also impressed with the service I received when my Z broke down. The operator was very professional and efficient. Within about 45 minutes from me placing the first call to them, my car was loaded on a flatbed. They also offer assistance with parts tracking for restorations, though I haven't tried using that service, yet.

@Diseazd

@siteunseen

I was looking on classic auto trader the other night. I was blown away by what people were listing cars for. Site I am sure you are under insured and Guy knowing the condition of your cars you are probably close to $10k per car short of where prices seem to be or will be shortly...

• 2 weeks later...

Well it is official. I let the insurance company have the car. The buy-back price was $4500, and I am not willing to pay that for what I consider to be a parts car.

I sure hope that whomever ends up with the car understands what they are getting.

CAM00811.jpg