IGNORED

Ken's 280z Resto Thread

ksechler

Ksechler, just realized I answered an insulation question of yours on another thread, your car is perfectly positioned  to add some extra sound and heat baffling right now since your interior is still out. Also a good time to make sure all those little openings in the back are sealed up so the exhaust doesn't sneak back in and a chance to have a second look at all the interior gas hoses so you are not smelling raw gas once you get all the panels installed.  I's looking really good.

Those Electromotive coils seem like a good upgrade but is it something that can be felt, is there a noticeable difference with them?

On 9/8/2016 at 7:27 PM, grannyknot said:

Ksechler, just realized I answered an insulation question of yours on another thread, your car is perfectly positioned  to add some extra sound and heat baffling right now since your interior is still out. Also a good time to make sure all those little openings in the back are sealed up so the exhaust doesn't sneak back in and a chance to have a second look at all the interior gas hoses so you are not smelling raw gas once you get all the panels installed.  I's looking really good.

Those Electromotive coils seem like a good upgrade but is it something that can be felt, is there a noticeable difference with them?

Thanks for the advice.  I made extensive use of dynamat and dynaliner.  I'll take a last look around and make sure I've got it covered.  I've used almost $1K worth of sound deadening and insulation!  I believe I have the holes all plugged and the gas tank stuff sealed.  I saved all of the original rubber pieces and they are back in the car.  

I don't know if the coil makes a "noticeable" difference.  I won't be able to give a before/after comparison.  The motor is very far from stock at this point.  I had Eiji at Datsun Spirit build it to his STR III spec.  So it's pretty strong.  I haven't officially driven the car since it isn't registered and doesn't have a windshield, but I did take a very short trip down the road near my house.  It isn't lacking for power!

I have another question for you and the group in general:  I noticed the other day that when cranking my motor there is a lot of arcing between the two terminals on the starter.  Is that normal?  It doesn’t seem right.  For full disclosure, I’ll admit that initially I connected the starter wrong.  Stupid as it may sound I connected the ground to the empty terminal and created a dead short in the starter.   Is it possible that I damaged something and wrecked the starter?