IGNORED

To Buy or not to Buy. That is the Question! Series 1 240Z

loudoun

Looking at the pictures, there was some welding done to it. But I don't think it's that of a problem, you could get a bodyshop do some repairs to make the body solid.

The interior is in decent condition to ? Looking on the pictures it even has the original size tires with hubcaps, at 6K I agree with the rest above, this is a steal, even if some bodywork was needed.

One question does it have the matching number L24 ? If not that would be a set back..

I can't believe everyone is telling you to just buy it. Yes it's rare, yes values are going up, but I'd only buy it with the expectation of replacing both front rails (which is worst case scenario) also the front radiator support not being early type indicates it's had a front end smash (in my opinion).

I very nearly bought a Safari Gold 71 240z that was on eBay in Florida a couple of weeks back, but it looked like it had a hard smash at the front and I decided to pull out of dealing with the seller (who was a dishonest crook as far as I was concerned anyway - god damn real estate agents).

There is a few placed that make replacement frame rails, in Australia we have a guy in South Australia that makes them on and off. I'm sure someone on your end of the world does similar.

Here is a good restoration shop in Oz. (He's currently restoring HS30 00019 which was far from good).

https://www.facebook.com/CustomAndClassicCars/photos_stream

As you can see from this photo...Anything can be repaired. (HS30 00039) below.

10253906_748931775127953_986194435674994

The real question is, do you want to go that far on this car? Yes $6k seems cheap, but you may find another early car in better shape for around $15-$20k and that car will cost far less in the long run than something that needs the front frame rails repaired.

It seems to me that everyone is telling you to buy with your heart not your head. I know that's sometimes the fun of it, but you don't want to buy a bent banana.

I actually think this car is a good buy.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5104136289.html

Even if it has rust in the common spots, white and blue combo is super rare.....Make no mistake it will need full rust work but it's complete from the look of it.

I would approach both cars as if they need full restoration...

Good luck.

PS: 905 Red is a great colour. But we all know 920 is the best hahahahahaahah.

I would have to pay for the fix.  

It's already fixed.  You drove it.

Without knowing your plans all you're getting are reflections of what the people out here would do with it.  The restore guys see lots of work to make it look like it came off the factory floor.  The daily driver guys see a car that's ready to buy and go.  

Pick a plan, and ask worth relative to the the plan.  

• Like 2

@ Gav: it can't be that bad that's it's beyond repairable. The bodywork seems to line up fine from the pictures, but I can't tell for sure. Maybe the topic starter could get the car to a good body shop to have a closer look ( pay them a few dollars to inspect the bodywork ) if he doesn't know where to look for himself ?

To quote a friend of mine "As you know photos can hide a lot of $^!#". Yes the car looks to align in the photos provided, however it's all relative to the angle of the shot, quality of the photo etc..

I agree it all depends on what the OP wants out of the vehicle, however if the car is to be daily driven and does have serious frame rust issues how safe will it be in a crash? 240z's are not very safe to start with, let alone a 40 year + rotten frame in an accident.

In my opinion if you sand blast those frame rails it will be a 'heart stopping moment'. You either have solid metal or lots of holes. 

The problem with buying such a vehicle is that once you start taking it apart to fix something like that, it becomes a slippery slope to full restoration. I'm the last person to deter someone from restoring an S30z especially an Early S30z which are hands down my favorites. I just want them to know what they are possibly getting themselves into.

Spending $60K on a full restored 240z may start to look cheap in comparison...

Given the location of the OP there is still plenty of cars to choose from, if this car were in Australia at that price - well I'd jump on it regardless, but the OP may be better off waiting and spending a little more on say a car in the 15-25k range which would better suit their needs and be a better starting point.

I agree 100% though, find a reputable restoration shop to inspect it before committing 100% to it. If in doubt. You can always put a deposit down pending outcome of the inspection.

Out of curiosity what is the chassis # on this car? If you want to play low vin bingo - well that's another kettle of fish. Good luck.

like zed said - it all depends on what you want out of it. i'm firmly in the camp of "buy the best body you can afford and don't worry about the mechanicals" because i like working on engines, body work is expensive and not something i can do myself (or at least in such a way that i'd be happy with the results) and these cars disintegrate quickly once rust begins in the hidden cavities. but if the goal is a simple, fun DD and you're not bent on a full resto then it really comes down to if it's solid enough to drive around safely. there are some pretty moth-eaten cars on the road (not that this is what i recommend) with very happy drivers, and some spectacular restorations that the owner is afraid to drive and loses sleep over the thought of a door ding or rock chip. 

personally, i fall into the upper middle between those two camps - i like a car that looks good, drives great and i know is reliable and easy to keep up. i like fiddling with projects that are within my capabilities, and i love talking w/all the folks that stop me in the parking lot to chat about the car and how it brings back fun memories of their youth. my car isn't perfect by any stretch, which gives me the ability to modify as i choose without the concern for being period-correct. it also lets me drive it every day and park at the grocery store without thinking to hard about where to park. the other day my son was mowing the lawn and kicked up a rock that dinged my drivers side door. sucks, but i was able to give him a hug and let him know it's only a car. if it was a $30K example it might have taken me a little longer to get to that zen-like spot with him...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hooray for you!!!!

You have found a great starting point with this car---many do not find as good an example until they've bought and sold several to get to where you are now.

Jim D.

"Zup"