IGNORED

1973 Rebuild

56 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

You missed a very important step.  Rinse the tank with a gallon or two of water mixed with a lb. box of baking soda.  No flash rust.

I agree on the por-15, it's a waste of money, red kote does fine for the inside.  That por 15 looks great on the outside though, great job. 8^)

The soda neutralizes the acid.

Good info. Thanks. I did my 78 with muratic acid and clean water. I didn't have the flash problem but on the 75 tank I need to do I will remember this. 

• Like 1

You missed a very important step.  Rinse the tank with a gallon or two of water mixed with a lb. box of baking soda.  No flash rust. I agree on the por-15, it's a waste of money, red kote does fine for the inside.  That por 15 looks great on the outside though, great job. 8^)

The soda neutralizes the acid.

Didn't see that in any of the threads I read, but makes 100% sense. CHEMISTRY! Im confident the acetone got it all, though. It came out clear the second time and I gave it another one to be sure.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Matthew Abate said:

Didn't see that in any of the threads I read, but makes 100% sense. CHEMISTRY! Im confident the acetone got it all, though. It came out clear the second time and I gave it another one to be sure.

So curious you washed the tank and got all the big chunks of rust out and then used a only a pint of pure muratic acid for 3 mins?  We're you also constantly turning the tank?

If I recall when I did mine I cleaned best I could filled half with water and added a hole gallon of muratic acid then filled the rest with water.  I let mine sit for about an hour, dumped the nasty mess and let a hose with clean water run for about 15 min. 

I poured a gallon of acid in, sloshed for about five minutes. Dumped that in an empty 5 gal. bucket then dumped 2 gallons of water mixed with soda in. Sloshed another 5 mins. Then dumped that into the dirty acid bucket.  Looked like the science fair volcanoes spewing foam everywhere.  Then a quart of acetone,  dumped that.  Put the hose of my backpack blower in the filler hole on the tank with all the vents opened back up.  Ran for 10 minutes full blast.  Then one qt. of red kote.  Drained the excess and let it bake in the sun for a week.  Next weekend replaced all the vent hoses and put it all back in.  No problems so far, 6 years on the 280 tank, 2 on the 240 tank.

Best thing I learned between the two tanks was write down the steps and follow them quickly.

Great job on your build, tank looks good :beer:

I used por15 fuel tank sealer on my restored gas pump. Still holds fine though ? But I had it blasted, and just applied the por15 with a brush ( I needed way less ! ). Maybe the rough blasted metal helps sticking it. It still holds perfectly, and doesn't dissolve with the gasoline. But it was some nasty stuff, be sure to wear gloves and a mask LOL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...