IGNORED

No spark

Patcon

Hey!  Isn't the condenser you're talking about, that stops arcing, usually mounted on the side of the distributor?  Could still be bad and a new one probably won't hurt.  I remember from Chevy world that the condenser was actually mounted on the points assembly.  The distributors were bigger I think and it all fit under the cap.

post-19298-0-09666500-1431298841_thumb.p

Thanks Steve

The points were sparking when you cranked the car but I should have suspected scorching sooner

There should be a MINIMAL spark " at the points " when you open them. If you have a medium to large spark at the points when you open them, then it is likely that the distributor condenser is shot. The condenser is mounted on the side of the distributor. It had two purposes:

1: It absorbs the electrical current when the points open, so that the points don't arc. Arcing will rapidly burn and pit the points.

2: The condenser causes the magnetic field in the coil to collapse much faster when the points open. This cause a BIG increase in Secondary current.  If the condenser is weak ( or missing ) , the Magnetic field collapses slower and you will have a very weak spark at the plugs.

The points condenser should be replaced every time you replace the points.

Note: When you go to install new points, drag a piece of clean white paper between the points first. Do it a couple of times till the paper comes out clean. New points usually have an anti-corrosion coating on them, to prevent corrosion during storage. This coating must be wiped clean before installation, or you can " burn " the points. It's actually the oil coating that burns.

Edited by Chickenman

Thanks, Steve

CO

That's funny. I laughed out loud. This car has never really been road worthy. It sort of has Fred Flintstone floorboards among other things. My younger son wants it so we are working towards making it good. I have replaced the passenger floor board already. My older son was on firewatch and let me burn the harness. "It was just smoking some Dad..." :angry:  It has a fair share of rust which I don't like. Some of it in strange places, like the windshield pillars. We will see. The downdrafts came with the car. Not my favorite but they do tolerate sitting for long periods of time well.

Site

I believe the crud is probably greasy gunk build up. Sort of home made rust preventative

Chickenman

Thanks for the tip. That may be what was scorched on the points. I believe the condenser was replaced when I had the shop work on it a while back. The points look fairly new. I will probably replace it anyway as they are very cheap.

Haha! Good. Glad you got a laugh out of that.  :D  I got a laugh out of your kid watching you burn through the harness. I know it's not funny, but it's good that you can at least make light of it now. Good luck with the project!

What am I gonna do when I have to work on the kids cars... I already can't keep up with my own projects let alone those they'll need help on!

The goods news is you will probably only work on their cars for a few years; then its off to school or get a job. It goes by fast. I have 2  kids leaving this year. During this time I just try to keep them all running, not perfect just functional.

During this time I just try to keep them all running, not perfect just functional.

I try to do that with my two boys as well😂. I given up trying getting them to help me, their attention span is too short with smartphones and all the stuff to distract them.

I know what you were refering, but couldn't resist.

Chas

Edited by EuroDat

With 2 teenage drivers and 5 cars, maintenance is only the bare essentials. The latest is gonna be rebuilding the transmission in the 95 Suburban. Never done that before, aught to be interesting. My oldest son isn't much help, even with all my instruction he doesn't know a dizzy from a radiator. My oldest daughter, now, she is something, the mind of an engineer. She helped me pull the diff and all the rear drivetrain out of her Z3, weld up camber and toe in retro-fit kits and put it all back. If I'm working on their cars, I won't do it if they won't help. They can walk, I have a car that runs. ;)