IGNORED

Buying My First 280Z

Can i get you guys to give me your opinion on this fixer-upper. I just called the guy here in Phoenix to see if i could run out and take a look at it and find out what the rust situation really looks like and to get some better pictures to show here but he's won't be back at his shop until Mon. 

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/4952291569.html

Thanks,

Mike

Not to be a Debby Downer, but investing in classic cars is a crap shoot.  "Value" doesn't count until you get the money.  We've been posting about overpriced eBay cars for years, that never sell at their inflated prices.

Anyway, you might have to wait and watch to find a decent car.  Or, since you do have that $11K budget, if you found a dependable shop, you could piece one together.  Buy the good body, then pick up a nice engine and transmission, have it all put together.  Or buy a nice body with worn engine and have someone like Datsun Spirit or Rebello build you a motor.  IT's very hard to find a shop that knows how to build these cars though.  And lots of ways to lose money.

Might have to get creative, depending on your time frame.

• 3 weeks later...

If it is the same car, the nickels and dimes will flow for a longtime to get it in to decent shape.  Every little trim piece is probably costly, especially for the 240Z's, and is hard to find.  Could be a fun project but you probably won't be driving it much for quite a while.

Doesn't the VIN plate look a little beat up?  Makes you wonder.  

post-19298-0-05803200-1429920349_thumb.p

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Mikez280z, welcome to the club and the disease!  When I got in to classic Z cars back in the mid 2000's a 280z was the first one I wanted too.  I see your budget above at $11,000.  I would recommend you think about what the end goal is for the car.  Is this something you are going to drive on a regular basis or just be a weekend cruiser, go to shows/events, and take out to dinner or lunch.  With a budget of $11K that will certainly buy you a good 240z.  If you are wanting a clean ready to enjoy 280z I think you would only need to spend around $7K - $9K.  The blue one you posted is not an $11K car given the fact it has a sunroof installed, generic seat covers over the originals, and aftermarket wheels.  There is no mention of what was done during the supposed "older restoration" but at this point you can expect that things like bushings and other consumable items will need to be replaced if they have not already.

With some of that in mind I would say go drive it and see if you like the car.  280z's ride different than 240z's but if the 280z is what you want, I would offer $7K and go from there.  I think that is reasonable and not insulting, especially if they still have it after having it posted for a month.  Keep us posted on how it goes.