IGNORED

Buying My First 280Z

Hello,

I've always loved the look of the mid 70's 280Z and i'm finally serious about buying one. I'm looking for a 76-78 280Z and I came across this one on Craigslist,

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/4957076950.html

The owner is asking $11,000. I'd appreciate any thoughts or concerns or general input. I will be in Vegas in about a month and may be able to look at this car in person if it is still available.

Thanks for any and all input.

Mike

There's nothing about mileage or engine/transmission condition.  Title - clear or salvage.  Last time it was registered.  Passed emissions?  Lots of unknowns.  Just a 78 Z that sat in a garage.  I would ask a lot of questions.

From the little info in the craigslist ad, it appears to be a #3 condition car in the Hagerty valuation guide.

"Needs tires & some minor work"

The sunroof is also a downside for me.  On the plus side, looks like it has spent its life in the desert region for its life.

Looks more like a 8k to 9k car to me.

Blue, thanks for the research on the 240Z. I am looking for a Z with a manual transmission. Zed Head, I would more than likely like to use it as a daily driver for a couple of years, then do a full restoration. The 11 grand seemed kind of excessive to me. S30Driver, so I take it then that none of the Z's came with sunroofs or is there something you see on this one that screams aftermarket?

Thanks all.

Sunroof was added by dealer to increase profit, or put in later by an owner.  Seats have covers, mirrors are not original, no mention of mileage -- which probably means it is not low.  A close inspection will show if it is in the 8k price range or lower.

I agree with Blue & Site on the 240.  Convert it to a 5 speed, get rid of those 45 series tires & rims the teenager put on.

Sunroof was added by dealer to increase profit, or put in later by an owner.  Seats have covers, mirrors are not original, no mention of mileage -- which probably means it is not low.  A close inspection will show if it is in the 8k price range or lower.

I agree with Blue & Site on the 240.  Convert it to a 5 speed, get rid of those 45 series tires & rims the teenager put on.

S30, as far as converting to an automatic to a 5 speed, does the value of vehicle go down when doing so, not being stock/original anymore?